Wireless Access

last person joined: 23 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Aruba and Juniper

This thread has been viewed 3 times
  • 1.  Aruba and Juniper

Posted Jun 21, 2019 10:34 AM
      |   view attached

I am running into a rather odd issue. Attached is a diagram of our controller network attached to several Juniper switches. 

We were running a master \ local setup. We ran into an issue where communication to the campus network was lost. We found that turning off spanning tree on one of the controllers actually resolved this issue. Fast forward to the last couple of weeks. We upgraded to the v8, mobility master and all. Brought up 1 controller, migrated over the APs, and ran into a similar issue. I disabled spanning tree on the ports and everything started working again. Today I brought up the 2nd controller and everything went down. I am seeing that even though the ports spanning tree was turned off, on the controller under: system - more - spanning tree is on still. 

Is there a spanning tree compatibility issue with Juniper and Aruba? Spanning tree is not configured on the ports the controllers are plugged into. Am I missing something? Has anyone else seen something similar to this? 

• 2.  RE: Aruba and Juniper

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 21, 2019 10:55 AM

Are you using RPVST on the Juniper switch?

• 3.  RE: Aruba and Juniper

Posted Jun 21, 2019 02:18 PM

@setha wrote:

Are you using RPVST on the Juniper switch?

RSTP is set up on the EX4200, but it is not assigned to either port the controller is plugged into. 

• 4.  RE: Aruba and Juniper

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 21, 2019 05:53 PM

Then you just need to change either the controller or the Juniper switch to match the other. Juniper VSTP = everyone else's PVSTP, and the default mode on the controller is (R)STP, not (R)PVSTP. Change the controller to RPVST mode and it should work. Or change the Juniper switch to plain (R)STP. STP and PVSTP do not work together. 

• 5.  RE: Aruba and Juniper

Posted Jun 21, 2019 02:04 PM
    Juniper use vstp vlan spanning tree protocol for compatible of pvstp and pvstplus.