Wireless Access

Guru Elite

Re: Auditorium Wireless Design

MooreALX,

The big question is what is your goal, right?  For now you have two access points there.  Do you have complaints that you want to address?  If you do not have many complaints or there is not the expectation that many, many users would be able to use the wireless simultaneously, it is quite possible that you do not need AP225s.  If you were asked to create an environment where you had the guarantee that the majority of your users in the space would be able use the internet at the same time, you should consider AP225s for their higher performance.

With that being said, you should have no more than 9 access points in the space, because there are no more than 9 non-overlapping channels in the 5ghz band at 20mhz.  In such a small space, any user could easily see any access point you deploy, so after a certain number of access points are deployed, adding more just creates contention.  User devices also broadcast RF and they also contend with access points and other users to gain access to the medium.  Since you have two access points in the space, you might want to deploy two or three more, spaced out and see how many users attach to those to understand your  true traffic patterns and to gauge the expectations of your users.

*Answers and views expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily the position of Aruba Networks or Hewlett Packard Enterprise.*
ArubaOS 8.4 User Guide
InstantOS 8.3 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Aruba Central Documentation
Aruba Technical Webinars
Occasional Contributor I

Thanks for the good responce, cjoseph!  My underdanding of the document that I was referencing was that the advantage of floor mounted APs was the the people themselves in the auditorium would help limit the range of the APs reduncing the contention issues.  Is our auditorium too small to go to some of these designs?

The big thing that is being asked for is classes of 200-300 people (or more if possible) could all take online tests or online surveys at once.  We have a lot of expienience showing AP105s can usually handle 30 clients in this type of enviroment.  We don't have much expirince with the AP115s yet, but we seem to being doing 50 in the same enviroment fine.

Guru Elite

Floor-mounted APs have increased cost and complexity because you would have to (1) run the cable through the floor (2) select  enclosures to protect your access points and (3) make sure the seats do not have metal in them that would cause interference.

You should always consider ceiling or wall-mounting your access points, because it is usually easie to deploy.  Many times, even deciding if you are a good candidate for floor-mounted ceilings is an advanced topic and should only be done by a trained professional.  You can normally get just as good results with wall or ceiling-mounted APs.  We have seen locations where 75 users are associated to an AP225 without issues when they are using well-behaved applications like web and email.  The AP115 could probably take 50 to 60 with well-behaved applications like web and email.

*Answers and views expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily the position of Aruba Networks or Hewlett Packard Enterprise.*
ArubaOS 8.4 User Guide
InstantOS 8.3 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Aruba Technical Webinars
2jz
New Contributor

Hi

Guru Elite

I also made those comments in 2015, when few clients supported DFS channels universally.  The forum software unfortunately does not have an option to auto-close threads that are old, so this is old information.

Please consult the updated VRD here:  https://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Validated-Reference-Design/RF-and-Roaming-Optimization-for-Aruba-802-11ac-Networks/ta-p/432994 for more information.

ArubaOS 8.4 User Guide
InstantOS 8.3 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Aruba Technical Webinars
Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: