Wireless Access

last person joined: 14 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Auditorium question

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Auditorium question

Posted Oct 05, 2012 05:14 PM

Okay i got  a simple question

We got a client which got many auditoriums in which in each they have like 400-500 users , there are around 3  auditoriums of 400 and 3 of 150 users...

Now they willl be just accesing internet and thats it.

they got an internet of 30mbs

Now  how many users per AP would you recommend for this deployment?(in the 400-450 users auditorium?) i would say 75? maybe in one auditorium putting  6 APs(75 yusers per AP) this would be dual band APs( could i use 105 AP?

I would try to move all the capable users to the 5ghz with band steering so let say it would be like a 75% of users or 65% on 5ghz and the other 25% 35% on 2.4ghz

I would be giving around 3mb per user  on the band of 5ghz assuming 50 are on that band... there would be more bw for the ones on the 2.4ghz but there will be more interference there.

The will need to upgrade that internet connection as all this is for  just internet access...

Any recommendations for this? deployment

• 2.  RE: Auditorium question

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 05, 2012 05:41 PM

@NightShade1 wrote:

Okay i got  a simple question

We got a client which got many auditoriums in which in each they have like 400-500 users , there are around 3  auditoriums of 400 and 3 of 150 users...

Now they willl be just accesing internet and thats it.

they got an internet of 30mbs

Now  how many users per AP would you recommend for this deployment?(in the 400-450 users auditorium?) i would say 75? maybe in one auditorium putting  6 APs(75 yusers per AP) this would be dual band APs( could i use 105 AP?

I would try to move all the capable users to the 5ghz with band steering so let say it would be like a 75% of users or 65% on 5ghz and the other 25% 35% on 2.4ghz

I would be giving around 3mb per user  on the band of 5ghz assuming 50 are on that band... there would be more bw for the ones on the 2.4ghz but there will be more interference there.

The will need to upgrade that internet connection as all this is for  just internet access...

Any recommendations for this? deployment

Please consult the High Density for Wireless for Auditoriums VRD, because there are a few more factors that are in play, such as mounting locations and the VRD explains this very well:  http://www.arubanetworks.com/technology/reference-design-guides/

• 3.  RE: Auditorium question

Posted Oct 05, 2012 09:24 PM

Thank you Collin but i already gave it a reading...  i was just asking an opinion about it   about mounting and location i have not too many options i know like it says on the VRD that going underfloor is better but in this scenario is not possible...  i though in puttin gthem on the ceiling facing donw, i know i got no channel rehuse  on 2.4ghz but well...

It would be too much asking if you just gave me your opinion about it?

Having 6 APs i would be having at least 12 channel to use...  i was thinking maybe adding another one for 2 more channels to minimize the user waiting line to access the channel...  and well let the ARM do the job for the co channel interference...

Im asking also diagrams  autocat plans or dimentions to use the RF planner to see how it looks on the heatmap... but for now just wanted some opinions if i was going in a good direction or what :)

Thats all...

• 4.  RE: Auditorium question

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 05, 2012 09:48 PM

You will have to test, to make sure whatever you decide on, works.  The VRD has much better scenarios than I can write about here.

In an open space, RF can propagate very, very far (300 meters), so whatever you broadcast will be seen by everyone and could possibly interfere.

Regardless of what everybody thinks, unless everybody is taking a test via Wifi, in an auditorium, not everyone is using wifi at the same time.  You can safely think that from a capacity perspective, 1 out of 5 users could be using the wifi.  Speak to your customer to get a good idea of this.  Of those 1 out of 5 users, they have well-behaved applications that are designed for mobile like web and email that can tolerate a great deal of congestion.

If you have to deploy more than 4 access points, you might consider turning off one or more radios on the 2.4 ghz side, so that there is less interference (you can also turn on ARM-Aware on the 2.4 ghz side so that you can also get air monitoring)

You might also try turning the power all the way down for all those access points, because even at the lowest power, RF propagates pretty well in open space.

You also might try using the Cell-Size reduction feature so that access points will ignore any energy outside of a certain radius.

Make sure that you only use 20mhz channels, even on the 5ghz side so that you get good channel reuse.

Try to schedule a test with a temporary setup with a bunch of volunteers before you deploy.

• 5.  RE: Auditorium question

Posted Oct 05, 2012 10:05 PM
    well thank u very much for your explanation it was very useful for my me... i thought in not that many aps just 6 cause they are just using internet no internal apps or anything this iw just fir internet access nothig more.