Wireless Access

last person joined: 19 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

BEST PRACTICE TO CONFIGURE A STANDALONE CONTROLLER

This thread has been viewed 24 times
  • 1.  BEST PRACTICE TO CONFIGURE A STANDALONE CONTROLLER

Posted Jan 27, 2020 12:43 PM

Hello.

I have an Aruba controller 7010, with AOS 8.6.0.2, in a standalone mode, with only one controller.

When I login GUI, I can see two levels of configuration:

• Mobility Controller
    • Mobility Controller > Aruba7010_DC_F1_40

I have learnt that everything related with licenses can only be seen at Mobility Controller level, not at Mobility Controller > Aruba7010_DC_F1_40 level.

What is the best practice to configure WLAN, Firewall, Roles, etc., as I have seen that many of these aspects can be configured in both levels?

Regards.

• 2.  RE: BEST PRACTICE TO CONFIGURE A STANDALONE CONTROLLER
    Best Answer

Posted Jan 27, 2020 11:28 PM

If you only have a standalone and plan to keep it that way, it doesn't matter which level. However, I would recommend sticking with one of the levels. Therefore, in your scenario, i would probably recommend making all changes at the MC level itself (Mobility Controller > Aruba7010_DC_F1_40). So, pick one, and stick with it. It is also useful to make all changes at the MC itself, because some of the settings, such as IP, will have to be made at the MC, so by making all changes at the MC, it will be less confusing.

If you add another MC to provide redundancy for the standalone, you technically still only have one logical MC, the other would function strictly as a standby, so again, it would not matter.

If you had multiple MCs either in a Master Controller Mode (MCM) environment, or a Mobility Master (MM) environment, then it can be useful to make changes at different level.

I hope this helps,

• 3.  RE: BEST PRACTICE TO CONFIGURE A STANDALONE CONTROLLER

Posted Feb 03, 2020 02:53 PM

Thanks you very much.

I will only have to remember that licenses are in the MM level. That was something that confused me when starting with AOS 8.x.

Regards.