Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

BLE console: every command "not found"

This thread has been viewed 14 times
  • 1.  BLE console: every command "not found"

Posted Jul 09, 2018 09:14 AM

Hi,

I followed this article to enable BLE console on our AP 315´s on 7005 (AOS 8.3.x).

I can connect to the APS, login, switch to full access - but cannot execute any command:

eg:

"- # config"

"/bin/sh: config: not found"

What do I am missing at this point?

(I have to enable concsole access because all APs are 6-7m above my head - and I am sure that the day will come that I would like to reset some of them again...)

• 2.  RE: BLE console: every command "not found"

Posted Jul 09, 2018 10:16 AM

Update: I noticed that I can use a small subset of POSIX commands (ls, cat, but no "ifcfg" a.s.o.)

Is the any documentation how to really work with this console and how to enable the aruba command subset e.g. "ble mode persistent-console"?

• 3.  RE: BLE console: every command "not found"

• 4.  RE: BLE console: every command "not found"

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 09, 2018 11:39 AM

What are you trying to achieve with console access to these APs? It appears that your 315s are controller based and are online with the controller. Configuration is pushed from the controller to the AP, so the config command is not valid from the AP's # prompt.

You should be able to reboot the AP from that prompt, and then interrupt the boot process to reconfigure ... as you would from the physical console port.

• 5.  RE: BLE console: every command "not found"

Posted Jul 10, 2018 04:20 AM

I would like to

- have a console without hiring a mountain climber for physical access in case an AP does not register with the controller anymore (I had this before!)

- to change the IP address of: AP and the controller it has to register to

I understand that a registered AP has not the command subset of an iAP - but what will happen if the connection to its controller is lost?

Then I can connect via BLE and reboot somehow and interrupt the restart - and reconfigure - is there any how-to for exact this procedure?

I cannot imagine that we are the only company which cannot easy access its APs for emergency maintenance.

Thanks - F.One

• 6.  RE: BLE console: every command "not found"
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 10, 2018 07:05 AM

The connection will continue if the access point reboots.  You would need to have the "BLE Operation" Parameter in the AP System Profile to be "persistent console" for the BLE console to survive a reboot.

When you reach the # prompt , you should be able to type "reboot" to reboot the access point.  You should see the access point reboot through the console and then press Enter when you see the prompt "Hit <Enter> to top autoboot".  You should then be able to type "printenv" to see all of the environment variables like ip address, etc.  You should also be able to type "setenv <environment variable>" to set the ip address, etc.  Setenv commands are here:  http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Controller-Based-WLANs/Useful-APBOOT-commands/ta-p/179950  You also need to type "save" when you are done setting the variables, and then type "boot".