Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Basic difference between Instant 8.3 and Aruba Instant 6.5?

This thread has been viewed 5 times
  • 1.  Basic difference between Instant 8.3 and Aruba Instant 6.5?

Posted May 07, 2018 01:47 PM

Forgive me for being a Aruba newbie- we have several Airwave managed clusters (AP315's), that are running 6.5.x firmware. I was looking to upgrade and found a version 8.3 variant of Aruba Instant. What's the difference between the two versions of Aruba Instant? Meaning is there a particular reason to run one or the other version? From what I can determine 8.3 has a longterm EOL, the 6.5 is EOL Aug 2022.

• 2.  RE: Basic difference between Instant 8.3 and Aruba Instant 6.5?
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 07, 2018 02:28 PM
      |   view attached

Have you already read the release notes, under "What's new"?  There is too much to copy and paste here, so I will just attach them.

If you already read the release notes, do you have any questions about them?

Attachment(s)

• 3.  RE: Basic difference between Instant 8.3 and Aruba Instant 6.5?
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 08, 2018 04:16 AM

6.5 is current Instant software version. 8.3 has just been released weeks ago, and the 8.x versions will be where the new features will be developed. Over time, you should consider moving to 8.x.

For now, if you have a stable 6.x deployment, I would upgrade to the latest version in 6.x, unless you need features that are only in 8.3 as described in the release notes.  

• 4.  RE: Basic difference between Instant 8.3 and Aruba Instant 6.5?

Posted May 19, 2018 12:11 PM

Thanks to all for the replies. You answered my question.

• 5.  RE: Basic difference between Instant 8.3 and Aruba Instant 6.5?

Posted Jul 31, 2018 08:48 AM

Regarding this topic,

I've got some 205 (not compatible with IAP 8.X). If I buy the new instant hardware (e.g 325), can I have these APs on the same cluster?

Thanks in advance.

• 6.  RE: Basic difference between Instant 8.3 and Aruba Instant 6.5?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 31, 2018 10:09 AM

Your cluster would have to run on 6.5.