Wireless Access

last person joined: 16 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Best directional antenna for the AP-134 ??

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Best directional antenna for the AP-134 ??

Posted Nov 20, 2013 01:28 PM

Hello AH!

Could someone reccomend an Antenna for the AP-134? I am mounting it in a large open area 500' x 80' so I am thinking 135deg panel. I need it to be MIMO and support 2.4GHz adn 5GHz?

Thanks

C Ellis.

• 2.  RE: Best directional antenna for the AP-134 ??

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 20, 2013 05:15 PM

The question is what type of clients.  There are a few handheld clients who's radios are not strong enough to respond at 500' even though they can hear an access point.  You probably would have to add another access point that is closer.  

• 3.  RE: Best directional antenna for the AP-134 ??

Posted Nov 20, 2013 05:22 PM

good point ... I am planning for iPhones, Andriods and Avaya handsets. I was actually thinking I would use 3 or 4 134s in the area. My question relates more to the 3 RPSMA connectors on the AP-134? What directional antenna works at 2.4 and 5 and is MIMO? I would think that when the AP was designed they must have had one in mind?

• 4.  RE: Best directional antenna for the AP-134 ??

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 20, 2013 05:35 PM

Please see antennnas compatible with the AP134 here:  http://www.arubanetworks.com/products/access-points/indoor-and-outdoor-antennas/

In this deployment, if you have to use VOIP, you are constrained by the recommendations of the manufacturer about the power of the access points (probably between 12 and 18), and how many access points needs to be seen at what signal strength.  You also want to provide uniform RF so that the access points' power will match that of your VOIP handset.  An external antenna focuses the signal in a particular direction and the signal in the other direction is less than that of an omni, in general.

The best thing to do is to mock it up either in the Airwave version or the Offline version of VisualRF by adding your AP134 as a planned AP, which allows you to put in the beamwidth, gain and orientation of the external antennas on the website you are considering to model coverage:  A caveat, is that it only models coverage, and it does not model if clients are powerful enough to respond at those distances.  RF propagates better outdoors, so that needs to be considered, as well..

planned.PNG