Wireless Access

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor I

Best height for access points

New to Aruba, vendor has installed APs to high I think.  When testing the SSID that is broadcasted the signal is good but not excellent.  The APs have been installed in an auditorium that has a high ceiling, not sure of celling hight but does Aruba have documentation on how high the APs can be installed.   

Highlighted
Guru Elite

Re: Best height for access points

Please see the High Density for Auditoriums Validated Reference Design Guide here:  http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Validated-Reference-Design/High-Density-Wireless-Networks-for-Auditoriums/ta-p/155578 and search for "height".

The only issue with downtilt omnidirectional antennas is that sometimes directly under the access point there can be a "null" which is usually remedied by having overlapping coverage.

*Answers and views expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily the position of Aruba Networks or Hewlett Packard Enterprise.*
ArubaOS 8.5 User Guide
InstantOS 8.5 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Remote Access Point Solution Guide
ArubaOS Consolidated Release Notes
ArubaOS 8 ViA VPN Solution Guide
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor I

Re: Best height for access points

Also check out the IEEE specification for 802.11AC. There are much higher performance numbers for clients who are 1. within 25 feet of an AP and 2. with clear LOS. Mounting several AP's on a ceiling where they can all hear each other does not sound like great design from a layer one perspective. It would be good to isolate the cells.

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: