Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Block torrent

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  Block torrent

Posted Jul 03, 2012 02:16 PM

Hi Forum,

I want to block torrent and facebook in my network. Please tell me that how can I block them, torrent changes its ports/IPs randomly & facebook also has much IPs to access. Is there any way to block torrent & facebook.

Help me

Regards,

Faisal

• 2.  RE: Block torrent

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 04, 2012 05:13 AM

We cannot specifically block torrent traffic at this time.

There is a way that you can create a named ACL *.facebook.com and block traffic to that, but that is no guarantee facebook uses other URLs for data.  You would need a content filter for that.

• 3.  RE: Block torrent

Posted Jul 06, 2012 10:22 AM

We had a problem with students using torrents on our school wireless network. We actually recieved notification that someone was pirating movies from our wireless network. I discovered then that we couldn't block torrents due to its rotating random ports.

After a little research I found out that most (not all) torrent programs reach out and touch on a set of default ports first before they started to rotate to other random ports. Said ports are tcp 6881-6889. So I created a policy that blocked those ports and then black listed the device.

It wasn't a perfect solution and I did "catch" a few legit users but for the most part it did the trick as black listed users had to come to IT services department to get taken off the list.

I hope this can help you!!