Wireless Access

last person joined: 15 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Bridged & Tunnelled VAPs on the same AP Group

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Bridged & Tunnelled VAPs on the same AP Group

Posted Jun 11, 2014 03:51 PM

Hi,

I have existing tunnelled VAP, and I would like to add some bridged VAPs to the same AP group.  Each of the bridged VAPs have unique VLAN-ID, so the idea is to send all traffic to the controllers, including tunnelled VAP over native (untagged) VLAN, and tag all other VAPs.

What I am seeing is that as soon as add bridged VAPs to the AP Group, the APs in that group start alternating between normal and ID(Inactive Dirty) state.

CPSec is enabled on the controllers.

Any ideas?

• 2.  RE: Bridged & Tunnelled VAPs on the same AP Group

Posted Jun 11, 2014 09:38 PM

Let me see if i get what you are asking

You are asking  that for example you got 2 VAPS

And when you put one VAP on tunnel mode and the other on Bridge mode it doesnt work as soon as you put it on bridge mode one of the VAPS

If i got your question right, that should be a bug, it should work just fine...

I remenber i have done that before, and to recheck that i changed one of the VAPs to bridge mode to see if i see the AP going on inactive or dirty config and that never happened( i mean on a AP group i got which has 3 VAPS, in this case it has 2 tunneled VAPS and one Bridge VAP)

What code do you have?

cheers

Carlos

• 3.  RE: Bridged & Tunnelled VAPs on the same AP Group

Posted Jun 12, 2014 10:18 AM

I am running 6.3.1.7.  I've noticed the following messages in logs every time the AP went into that state:

Jun 11 20:04:20 KERNEL(wap7-18-se1@192.168.154.20): [ 2436.993768] for vap 1:5

Jun 11 20:05:42 KERNEL(wap7-18-se1@192.168.154.20): [ 2519.625052] for vap 1:4

Also, everything has been stable for the last 12hr without me doing anything, which is also rather strange.

• 4.  RE: Bridged & Tunnelled VAPs on the same AP Group

Posted Jun 23, 2014 11:40 AM

Another thing that I noticed, is that every one of these APs reports the following message: "2014-06-21 03:42:38 Broken heartbeat tunnel"  whenever they go into Inactive/Dirty state.  And it's quite consistent after a reboot of the AP.

The same AP, with bridged mode VAPs removed, works flawlessly.

I have them connected to a Juniper EX switch VLAN for GRE/tunnel native, and all bridged VAP VLANs trunked, if that makes any difference.

I really appreciate your help since TAC hasn't been of much help up until this point.

Thanks!

• 5.  RE: Bridged & Tunnelled VAPs on the same AP Group

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 23, 2014 11:44 AM

garryshern,

Please ask TAC to escalate the case.  Since we cannot request personal information about your configuration on the forum here, it is much harder for any of us here to understand what is going on.  At minimum, they should be able to tell you what those messages mean, and why.