Wireless Access

last person joined: 19 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

CAP license question

This thread has been viewed 6 times
  • 1.  CAP license question

Posted Jun 26, 2018 12:36 PM

Hi gurus,

I have a master-local topology of two 7030 controllers. I have 42 AP licenses, 42 RF Protect licenses and 42 PEF licenses, and centralized licensing is enabled. Right now, there are 41 APs up, 19 pointing to the master controller and 22 pointing to the local controller. When I check the licenses in the master controller (which is the licensing server) I see this:

licenses.png

I understand the AP Usage and Remaining AP Capacity sections and they match with the active CAPs pointing to the master and local controllers, but what is the meaning of the AP Licenses section? Why AP Licenses is 20? Why Overall AP License Limit is 20 if this controller has a maximum CAP licenses of 64?

Regards,

Julián

• 2.  RE: CAP license question

Posted Jun 26, 2018 06:22 PM

You can use 20ap in total only ! 

• 3.  RE: CAP license question

Posted Jun 26, 2018 06:26 PM

Hi,

That makes no sense. As said, this controller can support 64 APs. You can look at the 7000 series datasheet.

Regards,

Julián

• 4.  RE: CAP license question

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 26, 2018 07:14 PM
    Hi Julian,

Please send me a show license.

Your screenshot states only 20 x AP license so max AP’s is now 20 even if the controller can support 64. I think you are missing licenses. Your screenshot shows 21 x RFPROT and 64 x PEF, they are not in equal amount.

Hope this helps

• 5.  RE: CAP license question

Posted Jun 26, 2018 07:18 PM

Hi Frank,

OK, I will share the "show license" as soon as I get access to the controller.

Regards,

Julián

• 6.  RE: CAP license question

Posted Jun 26, 2018 08:52 PM

In the cli command, type  

Check status results

show license aggregate

show license limits 

show license-usage ap

Activated state of total licenses
    License input status
    License Usage Status

• 7.  RE: CAP license question

Posted Jun 27, 2018 10:59 AM

Hi guys,

I think I am starting to understand the meaning of the AP Licenses section. I have compared the previous license output with that of my single 7005 test controller, which is this:

licenses2.JPG

This controller has 4 AP licenses, 4 RF Protect licenses and 4 PEF licenses. So, the AP Licenses section shows the number of any type of licenses the controller can take, and the Overall AP License Limit shows the lowest number. Since the number of licenses must match the number of APs, and when the different types of licenses have different numbers, the lowest number dictates the number of APs that can be managed.

In this case is clear, because I have 4 licenses of each type, the total number of APs I can manage is 4, although the 7005 controller can support up to 16 APs.

In my previous 7030 controller output, the controller has 42 AP licenses and 42 RF Protect licenses (ignoring the PEF licenses since my customer is currently managing a problem with his PEF licenses). Since the local controller is managing 22 APs, it is taking 22 AP licenses, and then there are 20 AP licenses left for the master controller (42-22=20). Since the lowest number is 20, 20 AP licenses vs 21 RF Protect licenses, the Overall AP License Limit is 20, although the 7030 controller can support up to 64 APs.

Any comments?

Regards,

Julián

• 8.  RE: CAP license question

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 27, 2018 12:32 PM
    Sounds about right.