Wireless Access

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Can IAPs+Central block custom apps?

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Can IAPs+Central block custom apps?

Posted Jun 27, 2019 05:43 PM

Hi experts,

As the subject says, can IAPs+Central block custom apps? I know IAPs can block based on network, app category, application, web category and web reputation. The app categories are standard such as gaming or instant messaging. And the applications are also standard such as youtube or skype. What if my customer wants to allow/deny only his applications (not web/URLs) which are not standard or well-known? Can this be accomplish? What information is needed? I have checked the Instant and Central user guides and it seems that's not possible. Please your help.

Regards,

Julián

• 2.  RE: Can IAPs+Central block custom apps?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 28, 2019 03:38 AM

Many applications can be blocked or allowed with standard role firewall rules based on destination net/ip and port, especially internal hosted applications. App/category is most useful for cloud applications that are hosted on the internet, and outside the company control.

• 3.  RE: Can IAPs+Central block custom apps?

Posted Jun 28, 2019 09:25 AM
    Hi Herman,

Then, for these custom applications, do you mean they can only be blocked with rules specifying dest. IP, server FQDN or IP, and ports? Is that the only or better mode?

Regards,
    Julián

• 4.  RE: Can IAPs+Central block custom apps?
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 28, 2019 11:48 AM

Julián,

Yes, if you host your own applications, in many cases these are hosted on your own controller IP and use known ports. In that case, is it not really needed to recognize the application as destination IP and port define the application as well.

Herman

• 5.  RE: Can IAPs+Central block custom apps?

Posted Jun 28, 2019 11:54 AM

OK Herman,

Many thanks for your confirmation!

Regards,

Julián