Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Cannot Upgrade the Backup Partion of RAP2

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Cannot Upgrade the Backup Partion of RAP2

Posted Dec 14, 2011 06:15 AM

Hello together,

I upgrade my controller to 6.1.2.5. Now I can not upgrade the backup-partition of my RAP2.

Christian

• 2.  RE: Cannot Upgrade the Backup Partion of RAP2

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 14, 2011 06:21 AM

As of ArubaOS 6.x, you cannot upgrade the backup partition of the RAP2.  You can only do this if your controller is running 5.x.  If your backup partition on your Rap is 5.x, you do not have to upgrade it, because there is no backup image beyond that.

• 3.  RE: Cannot Upgrade the Backup Partion of RAP2

MVP GURU
    Posted Dec 14, 2011 09:35 AM

And if the RAP is in 3.3.x firmware ? how to upgrade ?

• 4.  RE: Cannot Upgrade the Backup Partion of RAP2

Posted Dec 14, 2011 10:15 AM

The suggested upgrade is from 3.x to 5.0.4.2 and then to 6.x.

The steps are:

Connect the RAP to 5.0 controller. Once the RAP comes up, execute the CLI command ‘apflash ap-name backup-partition’ which will upgrade the provisioning image to 5.x. The RAP will reboot and will be upgraded to the 5.x image. Upgrade the controller to 6.x and this will automatically upgrade the RAP.

• 5.  RE: Cannot Upgrade the Backup Partion of RAP2

MVP GURU
    Posted Dec 14, 2011 10:25 AM

And if the controller is already in 6.x firmware ?

• 6.  RE: Cannot Upgrade the Backup Partion of RAP2
    Best Answer

Posted Dec 14, 2011 10:32 AM

Upload 5.x to one of the partitions on the controller to, boot the controller from that partition to 5.x, connect the RAP to upgrade as suggested, reboot the controller to 6.x image partition.

• 7.  RE: Cannot Upgrade the Backup Partion of RAP2

Posted Dec 15, 2011 03:03 PM

If you have RAPs on 3.x and you have a spare controller, I would put the spare on 5.0.4.2 and upgrade your RAP backup partitions from that controller then provision over to your 6.x controller. 

Downgrading your production 6.x controller to 5.x to upgrade some older RAPs should be done with care.  You can potentially lose some configuration components when downgrading and they won't be there when you upgrade again.  Not to mention that you'll take down your entire RAP network just to upgrade some old RAPs.