Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Cisco 7921g phones over Aruba AP 105 networks

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Cisco 7921g phones over Aruba AP 105 networks

Posted Mar 02, 2012 01:15 AM

Guys,

I just pulled out (x6) Cisco AP's and replaced them with AP 105's. My config is basically DHCP from Windows server, AP's sit on there own VLAN and the 7921 phones sit on another VLAN for phones. SSID is being displayed, no firewall and using B/G speeds with support for 2.4 and 5.0 signals. The phone connect fine to call manager after like x2 attempts where the phone come back saying connection failed and then finally it will get an ip and register. It will work for a bit but when on a call it will drop out or re-register or say leaving service location when standing next to AP. The security used is WPA2 and i have tried others but still the same. Any ideas on how to setup the AP's and maybe the phones to work together better since we did not have any issues with the CIsco AP's.

Thanks

• 2.  RE: Cisco 7921g phones over Aruba AP 105 networks

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 02, 2012 03:59 AM

@louie3888 wrote:

Guys,

I just pulled out (x6) Cisco AP's and replaced them with AP 105's. My config is basically DHCP from Windows server, AP's sit on there own VLAN and the 7921 phones sit on another VLAN for phones. SSID is being displayed, no firewall and using B/G speeds with support for 2.4 and 5.0 signals. The phone connect fine to call manager after like x2 attempts where the phone come back saying connection failed and then finally it will get an ip and register. It will work for a bit but when on a call it will drop out or re-register or say leaving service location when standing next to AP. The security used is WPA2 and i have tried others but still the same. Any ideas on how to setup the AP's and maybe the phones to work together better since we did not have any issues with the CIsco AP's.

Thanks

Cisco 7921g phones require a specific AP density in order to work properly.  In addition, the power of the access point needs to match the output power of the phones.  The Roaming Validated Reference Design here:  http://www.arubanetworks.com/pdf/technology/DG_Roaming.pdf will tell you exactly what parameters you need to enable on the controller so that Cisco 7921 phone will peform correctly.

• 3.  RE: Cisco 7921g phones over Aruba AP 105 networks

Posted Mar 02, 2012 12:15 PM

Thank you for your help. I hope this will cure the problem with the dropped calls. I will test Monday and post the results.

• 4.  RE: Cisco 7921g phones over Aruba AP 105 networks

Posted Mar 05, 2012 08:49 AM

After review of the document the only settings I wa able to change was the DTIM Period from 1 to 2 and the tx rate for 5Ghz to 18 - 24. Did not have any other options for the other settings when it came to the radio profile. The settings in red below was what I was able to change on the AP105 model, I attached the screen shot below. I was not even able to enter them at the terminal session for the voice profile. After the two settings I put the 7921g phones on Auto 802.11a and restart. They seem to connect faster and they did not drop the call with roaming. I will continue to monitor until maybe you guys review and see somthing i'm missing.

Like:

wlan ssid-profile "<792X SSID profile name>" essid "<792X SSID name>" opmode wpa2-aes dtim-period 2 a-basic-rates 6 12 24 a-tx-rates 6 9 12 18 24 max-retries 3 max-tx-fail 25 disable-probe-retry wmm deny-bcast ! rf dot11a-radio-profile "<802.11a radio profile name>" arm-profile "<802.11a arm profile name>" ! rf arm-profile "802.11a arm profile name>" max-tx-power 18 min-tx-power 12 voip-aware-scan ! rf ht-radio-profile <802.11a

RFVoice.jpg

• 5.  RE: Cisco 7921g phones over Aruba AP 105 networks

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 05, 2012 09:15 AM

You are not missing anything. The VRD is written for an environment with an Aruba controller. What you are using here is Aruba Instant. Changing settings via the CLI is not supported on Aruba Instant. My guess would be that most of those settings that you cannot change are probably the defaults for when you choose "Primary usage: Voice" in the GUI.

• 6.  RE: Cisco 7921g phones over Aruba AP 105 networks

Posted Mar 21, 2012 02:01 AM

Do you enable the WMM & U-APSD feature in your environment?