Wireless Access

last person joined: 15 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Client Couldn't get IP

This thread has been viewed 10 times
  • 1.  Client Couldn't get IP

Posted Jan 28, 2020 03:29 AM

Hi all,

I am working with Aruba controller(7010) and AP 334 with DHCP configured on controller. My issue here is all APs got IP address but clients that connected to that AP didn't.  Did i miss something here? Anyone who can help me  please? 

• 2.  RE: Client Couldn't get IP

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Jan 28, 2020 05:53 AM

What is the forwarding mode of the VAP, if it is bridge then the controller cannot provide DHCP since traffic is not tunneled to the controller. You would need a local DHCP Server for this.

If the VAP mode is tunnel, does your controller have a L3 interface in the VLAN to assist with the DHCP

functions?

EDIT* You may want to change the User Role from 'logon' to your own. This won't affected DHCP since 'logon' permits DHCP but the clients will see a Captive Portal.

• 3.  RE: Client Couldn't get IP

Posted Jan 28, 2020 06:38 AM

Thank you for your response!

VAP forwarding mode is bridge and DHCP is  configured on core switch but still not working.

Regarding user role: I already tried to change to 'authenticated' but it shows the following when i try to change it. 

Error processing command 'aaa profile "ICT_Park-aaa_prof" initial-role "authenticated"':Error: Role 'authenticated' is user defined, and can't be applied without Next Generation Policy Enforcement Firewall

• 4.  RE: Client Couldn't get IP

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Jan 28, 2020 06:48 AM

Have you configured the VLAN on the switch port correctly?

Untagged = AP Management VLAN

Tagged = Client VLANs.

The reason why you are seeing that error is due to not having a PEF license installed. Do you have a PEF license?

• 5.  RE: Client Couldn't get IP

Posted Jan 28, 2020 08:16 AM
      |   view attached

Both APs and Controller were in the same vlan (access vlan 20). I reconfigured the ports that connect core switch and Controller to trunk(tagged) on both side to allowed vlan all. Then the connection between Controller and other devices disconnected.  

User Role: I have PEF license, still error come.

• 6.  RE: Client Couldn't get IP

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Jan 28, 2020 08:19 AM

Is the switch port (where the AP is connected to) configured correctly? So
    tagged/untagged is set? So if the client VLAN is 20, then this is tagged and the AP VLAN is untagged.

Have you installed the PEF license and rebooted?

• 7.  RE: Client Couldn't get IP

Posted Jan 29, 2020 03:28 AM
    I changed forwarding mode to tunnel and now it works. Thank you! But the user role thing is still messing, I have PEF license and installed and rebooted a month ago. its flag also enabled. but i can't see what is wrong with it. Any idea? Installed Expires(Grace period expiry) Flags Service Type 2019-12-30 12:52:35 Never E Policy Enforcement Firewall for VPN user

• 8.  RE: Client Couldn't get IP

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Jan 29, 2020 03:55 AM
    Glad to hear it! Which version of AOS is this? In v8 you need to enable the PEF feature to use the license.

Sent from my iPhone

• 9.  RE: Client Couldn't get IP

Posted Jan 29, 2020 04:14 AM

AOS is V6 (6.5.1.4).

• 10.  RE: Client Couldn't get IP

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Jan 29, 2020 05:52 AM
    Can you provide the output of ‘show license’ and ‘show license verbose’. Feel free to obscure the license code

Sent from my iPhone

• 11.  RE: Client Couldn't get IP

Posted Jan 29, 2020 06:41 AM

Find attached

• 12.  RE: Client Couldn't get IP
    Best Answer

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Jan 29, 2020 10:41 AM
    Okay, I can see the issue. You have a PEFV licenses installed instead of a PEF. You will need a PEF licenses to complete the changes and resolve the error you are seeing.

PEFV = License for the IPSEC/SSL VIA client.

https://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/ArubaOS_80_Web_Help/Content/LicenseGuide/License_Usage.htm

• 13.  RE: Client Couldn't get IP

Posted Feb 11, 2020 02:44 AM

Thank you!!

• 14.  RE: Client Couldn't get IP

Posted Jan 28, 2020 06:43 AM

attached docs