Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Client have poor performance at AP 215 2.4 Ghz Radio

This thread has been viewed 17 times
  • 1.  Client have poor performance at AP 215 2.4 Ghz Radio

Posted Dec 09, 2018 10:32 PM

Hi all

i have some problem with client in my office, they always got poor performance in 2.4 ghz radio, the channel between ap is different, it between 1 and 11, max device per ap is 20, is there any way i can increase performance of ap, or client, thanks

• 2.  RE: Client have poor performance at AP 215 2.4 Ghz Radio

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 10, 2018 03:01 AM

There can be many reasons why 2.4GHz performance is experienced poor. There is a lot of interference on that frequency, especially in dense city areas or places where you have a lot of other buildings around. For that reason, most WiFi engineers will design in a way where as many clients as possible will select the 5GHz for the better performance.

Without any background, it is hard to tell what is going on and what causes the poor performance experience. Things that help in general:

- Check the spectrum for interference, check on the AP/controller the channel utilization and background noise levels.

- Separate wired and wireless clients in different networks/VLAN

- Utilize broadcast filtering on the wireless

- Remove low data-rates

- Find who/where/when experiences poor performance and find if it is related to location/user/device/other.

- Have your design verified on AP placement, power levels, capacity, etc. 

There is quite some guidance in the Aruba Validated Reference Designs that may get you started, and if you don't have the experience I would advise you to involve an experienced WiFi engineer/Aruba partner.

• 3.  RE: Client have poor performance at AP 215 2.4 Ghz Radio

Posted Dec 10, 2018 07:11 AM

I'm having the same thing on 8.3.0.3 and 8.3.0.4. My clients on 5 Ghz are perfectly fine. Sometimes, they pick  2.4 Ghz because they are steered that way or whatever. 25 people in a room on 5 Ghz, all perfectly fine. 1 person on 2 Ghz, retried frames through the roof.

The user disconnects and reconnects and it picks 5 Ghz, they are perfectly fine. It isn't a problem all the time, though. Long term goal is to get to a point to turn off all 2.4 Ghz radios.

iann

• 4.  RE: Client have poor performance at AP 215 2.4 Ghz Radio

Posted Dec 11, 2018 03:09 AM

exactly the same here - same code versions with 315 and/or 325 APs

• 5.  RE: Client have poor performance at AP 215 2.4 Ghz Radio

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 11, 2018 03:17 AM

Please check the RF and Roaming VRD from the VRD page on Airheads.

If you have clients that jump to the 2.4GHz, it is likely that you have too much power configured on the 2.4GHz radio. In general, the guideline is to have your 2.4GHz powered at least 6 dB lower than 5GHz in order to convince clients to select the stronger 5GHz signal.