Wireless Access

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor II

Client not associating with the most nearby AP and connection loss when roaming between APs

Hi,

We've implemented a new wireless network setup with 19x AP-515 and 1x AP-365, terminated on a 7010 Mobility Controller, running AOS 8.4.2 in stand-alone controller mode, without a Mobility Master.

Customer is complaining about client association that's not going smooth or optimal. When roaming through the building, the client stays connected to an AP that's far more away than another AP that's close so the client. After some time, when signal is too weak, the client associates with the closest AP, but with connection loss to the network.

I think some parameter(s) is missing or wrong, but can not figure out which...

Can you guys please help me out to troubleshoot and fix this?

What configuration or logs do you need?

Thanks in advance!

Guru Elite

Re: Client not associating with the most nearby AP and connection loss when roaming between APs

In this order,

ARM Maximum Transmit power is too high (start at 18 or lower)

Do NOT use 80mhz channels

Remove lower transmit rates on your SSIDs to fine-tune roaming.

*Answers and views expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily the position of Aruba Networks or Hewlett Packard Enterprise.*
ArubaOS 8.4 User Guide
InstantOS 8.3 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Aruba Central Documentation
Aruba Technical Webinars

Re: Client not associating with the most nearby AP and connection loss when roaming between APs

Hi cjoseph,

I have checked the ARM tranmit powers:

default-a
Min Tx EIRP 12 dBm
Max Tx EIRP 18 dBm

default-g
Min Tx EIRP 6 dBm
Max Tx EIRP 9 dBm

I think these values are OK like that?

I have now disabled the 80Mhz channels (on ARM profiles + High-Throughput SSID profile).

Should that be OK then?

Do I need to configure something in terms of 802.11r or k?

Hi cjoseph,

Is is possible to give me a reply please? Thx!

Guru Elite

What you have in your previous post is good as a starting point.

As wirh everything else, if this is service-impacting you should open a TAC case:  https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/

*Answers and views expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily the position of Aruba Networks or Hewlett Packard Enterprise.*
ArubaOS 8.4 User Guide
InstantOS 8.3 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Aruba Central Documentation
Aruba Technical Webinars
Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: