Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Configuration of two 7005 mobility controller

This thread has been viewed 13 times
  • 1.  Configuration of two 7005 mobility controller

Posted Oct 21, 2020 05:09 PM

Hello,

I have 2 mobility controller (model 7005) and 19 license ap.

Can I configure these controller active-active? How?

Or you suggested something else?

Thanks

Gianluca

• 2.  RE: Configuration of two 7005 mobility controller

MVP GURU
    Posted Oct 21, 2020 06:36 PM

You can setup two scenarios:

- Master Redundancy which is active/passive. All APs terminate to a single controller and you have master-controller redundancy.

- Master-Local: Both controllers can terminate APs, and provide AP termination redundancy but only a single master so if the Master fails, lose configuration ability.

What version of ArubaOS will be running?

• 3.  RE: Configuration of two 7005 mobility controller

Posted Oct 23, 2020 11:11 PM

If running ArubaOS 8, when operating in Master Controller Mode (MCM), meaning one controller is operating as the Master and one or more other controllers are operating as Locals, the Master controller cannot terminate APs. So, only one controller can terminate APs, the Local controller. If it fails, there is not redundancy.

This was not the case in ArubaOS 6. In ArubaOS 6 the Master could terminate APs. ArubaOS 8 was a major architecture change, and is best run with a dedicate management server, a Mobility Master (MM), which can be a hardware version or a VM version.

If you want both controllers terminating APs, you could configure a Mobility Master (MM), which is a management server (which would need licensing), and then both controllers could be set up as Mobility Controllers (MCs). For redundancy, the two controllers could be configured as a cluster, which would provide stateful failover for any clients.

• 4.  RE: Configuration of two 7005 mobility controller

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Oct 24, 2020 03:21 AM

In an ArubaO8 cluster managed by a Mobility Master with two active managed devices (controllers) will not increase your ap capacity. It only spread the available resource power and give seamless redundancy.

example:

1x 7005 = max 16ap

2x 7005 in cluster mode (active/active) = max 16ap

why? Because each AP create  two tunnels, (a-aac and s-aac). One to each controller where one path (s-aac) is “hot standby”

• 5.  RE: Configuration of two 7005 mobility controller

MVP GURU
    Posted Oct 21, 2020 06:41 PM

Also, take a look at this older post: https://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Wireless-Access/Master-Master-Active-Active/td-p/405603

They discuss the disadvantages of active-active, and advantages of Master-Local or Master-Backup Master.

• 6.  RE: Configuration of two 7005 mobility controller

Posted Oct 22, 2020 09:41 AM

ok but if I if I will implement the solution Master-Local or Master-Backup Master can I install 19 licenses?

I know that this controller support up to 15 license.

• 7.  RE: Configuration of two 7005 mobility controller

MVP GURU
    Posted Oct 22, 2020 11:55 AM

Your limit on the controller would be 16

• 8.  RE: Configuration of two 7005 mobility controller

Posted Oct 22, 2020 02:05 PM

Ok but if I have two controller master local limit will be 32? Or it is 16 like one controller?

thanks

• 9.  RE: Configuration of two 7005 mobility controller

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Oct 22, 2020 02:53 PM

One controller can handle 16 AP's. When use active/active and one controller fails there is no option to keep all 19 AP's online.

• 10.  RE: Configuration of two 7005 mobility controller

Posted Oct 22, 2020 04:02 PM

Ok but if I have two functioning controllers one master and one local I have 32?

• 11.  RE: Configuration of two 7005 mobility controller

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Oct 23, 2020 03:57 AM

You can have 32 APs in your environment if you have 2x 7005 in Active Active, however this is not recommended since you have no redundancy for the full environment. Within the AOS8 fundamentals guide, each controller needs to have enough capacity to accommodate the number of APs that could potentially failover from the second controller. In the redundancy model, each controller typically terminates APs at up to 80% of the controller capacity. In the capacity model, each controller typically terminates APs at up to 40% of the controller capacity.