Wireless Access

Highlighted
MVP

Re: Confirmation needed on VRRP Configuration !!!

@Islamabad wrote:

Dear cjoseph

I need one more clarification. In my setup three access layer poe manageable switches and two controllers 7210 are connected to core switch via trunk links. Native Vlan-5 is define on each end of every trunk interfaces. Our whole management network is based on VLAN-5. No ip address assigned to VLAN-1 interface on any end. I have 75 access points of model 215.  

My question is when I do connect my access points on access layer switches, Should I change the Access Port vlan-id from vlan-1 to vlan-5 ?

I will be gratefull for your kind response on this query.

As long as your APs get an ip address and DNS server details (either fixed config or via DHCP) they will connect across layer3 to whatever ip address they get back from resolving the 'aruba-master' DNS entry ( A record).

So no, no vlan 5 is required on the access ports.

Koen (ACMX #351 | ACDX #547 | ACCP)

-- Found a post helpful or important? Click the "Thumbs Up" icon to give kudos.
-- Problem Solved? Click "Accept as Solution" in a post.
Highlighted
Regular Contributor I

Dear Koen,

Helper address assigned on controller management vlan-5 interface. Corporate DHCP will provide the leases to ip address.

I am much familiar that by default aruba uses ADP to locate the contoller ip and access points established the GRE tunnel with controller. But on access layer switches, by default access ports have vlan-1 and my network being consist of vlan-5 as a management / native vlan on trunk interfaces.

Why Should I not change the access ports vlan-id from vlan-1 to vlan-5 ??? 

Please clear me. 

Highlighted
MVP

@Islamabad wrote:

Dear Koen,

Helper address assigned on controller management vlan-5 interface. Corporate DHCP will provide the leases to ip address.

I am much familiar that by default aruba uses ADP to locate the contoller ip and access points established the GRE tunnel with controller. But on access layer switches, by default access ports have vlan-1 and my network being consist of vlan-5 as a management / native vlan on trunk interfaces.

Why Should I not change the access ports vlan-id from vlan-1 to vlan-5 ??? 

Please clear me. 

An AP can use the following methods to find its controllers:

AP boot order

• “master” parameter set (manualy) on the AP
  • dhcp option 43
  • ADP multicast & broadcast
  • DNS aruba-master

So yes, if your APs are connected in vlan 1 and your controller has an ip interface in this vlan, ADP will take care of it all.

In my experience however, DNS record aruba-master is much more user-friendly as the DNS it most often required just 1 A-record on your DNS server and allows connection from most internal vlans.

So yes, you can use vlan 1 after configuring an ip interface for it on your controller, but after configuring just an A-record on your DNS every vlan that distributes that DNS server through it's DHCP will work regardless of configuration on the controller.

If you ask me.. I like the DNS option alot more.

Koen (ACMX #351 | ACDX #547 | ACCP)

-- Found a post helpful or important? Click the "Thumbs Up" icon to give kudos.
-- Problem Solved? Click "Accept as Solution" in a post.
Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: