Wireless Access

last person joined: 11 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Controller Recommendation

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Controller Recommendation

Posted Sep 26, 2018 10:27 PM

I am currently looking for controller to support around 500 IAPs 315. I am thinking to purchase two 7220 Controllers(Master/Backup). Is this a good controller or is there something else I should look into? 

Thanks in advance. 

• 2.  RE: Controller Recommendation

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 26, 2018 11:12 PM

https://www.arubanetworks.com/products/networking/controllers/compare/#19987,19999,19997

You should not purchase the 7210 (512 aps), because Aruba typically recommends running controllers at no more than 80% capacity.

• 3.  RE: Controller Recommendation

Posted Sep 26, 2018 11:37 PM

I was looking at 7220 Models Controllers. 

• 4.  RE: Controller Recommendation

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 26, 2018 11:42 PM

That model would be fine for 500 APs.

• 5.  RE: Controller Recommendation

Posted Sep 27, 2018 03:24 AM

As Colin said 7220 would fit your solution well. By your questions I assume that you're new with Aruba wireless and this is quite big solution. I suggest that you contact your local HPE Aruba office or a Partner to get assistance in doing this setup correctly.

Mobility Master is something to consider - I wouldn't build a solution of your size without it.

IAP 315, depending on the firmware they ship with you will have some extra overheads changing those IAP's to Campus Mode. If they ship with 6.5.2.0 or higher they should be Unified with what that means.

Good luck!

• 6.  RE: Controller Recommendation

Posted Sep 27, 2018 09:20 AM

Thanks for your suggestion

You said "Mobility Master is something to consider - I wouldn't build a solution of your size without it."

Are you refering to AOS 8? can you please explain more on this. 

Also should I consider a physical server or go with VM? 

• 7.  RE: Controller Recommendation

Posted Sep 27, 2018 04:32 PM
    Well – it’s a big rollout so you should reach out to HPE Aruba for assistance or be pointed to a partner that has done this before. That will give you a kickass network without all the headache if learning as you go – the hard way 😉

If you’ve already decided that Aruba is the way to go (smart choice!) you could and should read up on the Aruba VRD’s (Validated Reference Design Guides) and learn about Best Practices and how the technology functions.

AOS 8 with a virtual MM and 2 Hardware 7220 Controllers is what you want for your 500 AP’s. You should also look into your current infrastructure to validate that you have the right switches for the job – think PoE+ for all AP’s. Realise that no client traffic is bridged locally – so ALL client traffic is tunnelled back to the controller.

What about monitoring? MM/Controllers only give you current status. You might need a tool like Aruba Airwave to monitor it all to make sure you can go back in time to troubleshoot, see where your RF issues are or just get reports of usage over time.

Authentication? Do you know your network well enough and/or have a great AAA server that is easy to work with and gives your full control of what gets online on your wireless? IF not – then you might want Aruba Clearpass! Be caerful tho – once you try it you can’t go back 😉

I could go on and on, but you know – reach out to your local HPE Aruba office and get a proper introduction to the technology.

Cheers and good luck!

John