Wireless Access

last person joined: 3 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Controllers as DNS servers

This thread has been viewed 6 times
  • 1.  Controllers as DNS servers

Posted May 29, 2012 11:52 AM

I noticed that our controllers (both master and locals) function as DNS servers.  Is there any reason they do this by default?  I'd like to turn it off, but I hear doing so requires a reboot of each controller, so I'm planning on putting an ACL on their inbound interfaces to block DNS.  Just wanted to post and make sure there isn't some functionality I'm destroying by blocking udp 53.  Thanks!

• 2.  RE: Controllers as DNS servers

Posted May 29, 2012 01:39 PM

Does your DHCP server provide the IP address of the controller as the DNS server? 

Client would not send DNS queries to the controller unless they are configured to do so.

Are your controllers acting as DHCP servers? If yes, then what IP address are configured under "dns-servers"? Also, please post the  output of command 

show ip dhcp database 

--

HT 

• 3.  RE: Controllers as DNS servers

Posted Feb 10, 2015 09:35 AM

hi all,

can aruba controller act as DNS serveur or not ?!

Regards.

• 4.  RE: Controllers as DNS servers

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 10, 2015 10:13 AM

Yes, if you have ip domain-lookup configured on the controller, and if you have a dns server defined on it, as well. (ip name-server x.x.x.x)