Wireless Access

last person joined: 11 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

DHCP On Switch Or IAP

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  DHCP On Switch Or IAP

Posted Jan 04, 2019 10:46 AM

We are iin the process of rolling out a dedicated guest network using Aruba switches and Aruba Instant APs.

I have a question on the DHCP scope for the wireless clients and are wondering what other users are doing.

Do you create the DHCP scope on the switches or on the IAPs?

Is there an advantage of putting them on the switches rather then on the IAPs?

Thanks

• 2.  RE: DHCP On Switch Or IAP

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Jan 05, 2019 05:28 AM

For guests I prefer to use a separate client vlan that is extended to the firewall. To prevent guests from accessing my corperate dhcp server, I prefer to use dhcp on the firewall to completely separate it and still maintain a central point of control.

But offcourse there are more possibilities such as use internal vlan with snat, rather than my external vlan example.

Please read the Aruba-Instant-Validated-Reference-Design, the dhcp options are well described, link.

• 3.  RE: DHCP On Switch Or IAP
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 06, 2019 06:09 AM

Hi

There are many options as Marcel already told.

If there is no seperate firewall for guest traffic you can use the internal DHCP and 'magic' VLAN on the instant. It is designed to help in guest networks. You can use the internal firewall roles on the instant to make sure the guest can't access internal networks.

But without more information I can't advise on the 'best' solution.

Hoep this helps.

• 4.  RE: DHCP On Switch Or IAP

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Jan 06, 2019 07:23 AM

I agree with you Frank