Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

DHCP "relay" without IP on WLAN?

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  DHCP "relay" without IP on WLAN?

Posted Aug 05, 2020 01:12 PM

Hi there,

I'm trying to get DHCP info from my controllers to ClearPass, but without the controller having an IP address on the network. Is this possible?

Regards,

• 2.  RE: DHCP "relay" without IP on WLAN?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 05, 2020 01:37 PM

Add a second helper address to whatever interface the default gateway is on.

• 3.  RE: DHCP "relay" without IP on WLAN?

Posted Aug 05, 2020 01:45 PM
    Not possible but you can use IF-MAP if you are trying to get profiling information:
    https://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Controller-Based-WLANs/IF-MAP-support-in-Aruba-controller-for-device-profiling-in/ta-p/467340

Ideally you should add ClearPass as an additional DHCP helper at CORE or Distribution where the SVI lives

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

• 4.  RE: DHCP "relay" without IP on WLAN?

Posted Aug 05, 2020 02:29 PM

Unfortunately IFMAP only gets me user agent, and sometimes that is not enough.

@cjoseph: gateway runs DHCP server. So I'm unable forward the requests to a different server (ClearPass).

• 5.  RE: DHCP "relay" without IP on WLAN?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 05, 2020 04:33 PM

You have few options.  A device that does not have an ip address cannot relay dhcp traffic because it has no idea what subnet it is on... Move the dhcp server to the controller and then relay from the default gateway.

• 6.  RE: DHCP "relay" without IP on WLAN?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 10, 2020 04:48 AM

What I found to work as well is, to assign an 'out of range' IP address to the interface and apply the dhcp relay on that. For example 10.254.38.1/30, 10.254.38.3/30; then make sure you don't use these addresses. Also, be aware that if someone knows these IP addresses and statically configures a device in the same subnet, the controller may be accessible over there.

• 7.  RE: DHCP "relay" without IP on WLAN?

Posted Aug 10, 2020 07:05 AM

Cisco has a cool feature where the controller forwards DHCP fingerprints to RADIUS, without having an IP on the network.

So, for a guest network (as an example), the controller will never be reachable from the guest, yet ClearPass can get dhcp info.

Isn't there something like this? Can't IFMAP also forward dhcp fingerprint?