Wireless Access

last person joined: 13 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Difference between basic rate and transmit rate ?

This thread has been viewed 31 times
  • 1.  Difference between basic rate and transmit rate ?

Posted Jun 15, 2016 02:24 PM
      |   view attached

See attached .jpg file for reference

What is the difference between basic rate and transmit rate?  

Does anyone else adjust these settings or is default good for most installs?

What would the desired settings be in a dense deployment (school with AP in every classroom). How would you adjust these settings in a less dense deployment (say AP in every 3rd classroom)

I've always thought of it being a way to help steer the end device to the closest AP by turning off the lower transmit rates. Preventing clients from "sticking" to the first AP they associate to. 

The denser the deployment the more lower transmits I would turn off. Less dense the more I would turn on.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts on this. 

• 2.  RE: Difference between basic rate and transmit rate ?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 15, 2016 04:52 PM

Basic rates are the rates for management traffic.  Transmit rates are the rates for data.

The majority of the time, these values are not adjusted.  Other times, they are adjusted to possibly improve roaming or reduce RF utilization.

There is no set way to do this; it involves experimentation to get it right.