Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Disable FTP on WLC

This thread has been viewed 25 times
  • 1.  Disable FTP on WLC

Posted May 07, 2019 05:59 PM

I understand that FTP is used to push images from the WLC to the AP. However our WLCs keep coming up on security audits for FTP being open. I can't keep explaining this to the security team every time they do an audit.

So my question is, how can I disable this port in Aruba OS 8 (8.3.0.5 to be exact)? I have a few WLCs on 6.5 and I just selected 'Disable FTP server' under Config>Advanced Service>Stateful Firewall>Global Setting and when doing a scan I see FTP is closed.

I tried doing the same on OS 8, but doing a scan I still see FTP open. Any suggestions?

• 2.  RE: Disable FTP on WLC

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 07, 2019 06:04 PM

Under Services> Firewall:

Screenshot 2019-05-07 at 17.02.43.png

EDIT:  Did you type "show firewall | include FTP" on the individual MD to see if it is indeed disabled?

• 3.  RE: Disable FTP on WLC

Posted May 07, 2019 06:06 PM

I checked this option (services>firewall>disable ftp) on my 8.3.0.5 WLCs and running a scan still shows FTP is open.

EDIT: I just ran the show command on the CLI and it doesn't look like it's actually enabled. 

• 4.  RE: Disable FTP on WLC

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 07, 2019 06:21 PM

type "show netstat | include :21" on the MD and see if the port is still open.

• 5.  RE: Disable FTP on WLC

Posted May 07, 2019 06:24 PM

This is the output when running the command:

(WLC) [MDC] *#show netstat | include :21

tcp LISTEN 0 32 :::21 :::* users:(("vsftpd",pid=4516,fd=3))

Port is in listen mode still.

• 6.  RE: Disable FTP on WLC

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 07, 2019 07:17 PM

If you have an MM, was it disabled on the MM or at the node level? If at the node level did you disable globally or at the device level?

I just tested on my lab and when disabled at the node, but the top level and on a device, it removed the service. If you just disable on the MM, it won't disable it on the MCs

• 7.  RE: Disable FTP on WLC

Posted May 07, 2019 07:22 PM

I do have an MM. I tried to disable on the MM (since the MMs show up with FTP open) and it didn't work. I also tried to disable at the top level of my MDs which isn't working. Are you saying I should disable at the node level?

• 8.  RE: Disable FTP on WLC

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 07, 2019 08:26 PM

Yes.  Try that.

• 9.  RE: Disable FTP on WLC

Posted May 08, 2019 11:34 AM

I disabeled at the higher levels and enabled at the node level and still the same thing. I'll give TAC a call.

• 10.  RE: Disable FTP on WLC

Posted May 07, 2019 07:17 PM

It's odd that when I do 'show firewall', under the action column for 'Disable FTP server' it says NO. All other actions are Enabled or Disabled.

• 11.  RE: Disable FTP on WLC

Posted Dec 08, 2021 01:48 PM
    Hi Michaelordona,
    Did you received an answer from TAC about this issue? 
    What they said? Because, I still have the same issue as you. 
    Let me know if they found a way to disable FTP. 
    Thanks!

------------------------------
    Heriberto Villicaña
    ------------------------------