Wireless Access

last person joined: 17 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Disabling spanning tree on 7210 Controllers

This thread has been viewed 15 times
  • 1.  Disabling spanning tree on 7210 Controllers

Posted May 31, 2018 09:06 AM

We have two controllers (MODEL: Aruba7210), Version 6.5.4.2.

The core network that they are connected to is using MSTP. As the controllers only support RSTP and PVST, I think it may be best to disable spanning tree onthe controllers and let the core switches handle loop prevention via MSTP.

I would like to know the following:

1 - Is it possible to disable spanning tree entirely on the controllers - if so how?

2 - With spanning tree disabled, will the controllers forward BPDUs received on one port out of the other(s), or will they be dropped.

Thanks in advance,

Jon

• 2.  RE: Disabling spanning tree on 7210 Controllers

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 31, 2018 09:23 AM

config t

no spanning-tree 

https://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/ArubaOS_6_5_4_X_Web_Help/Web_Help_Index.htm#ArubaFrameStyles/1CommandList/spanning-tree(Global).htm?Highlight=spanning%20tree

That will turn it off globally and depend on your switches for loop detection.  This is typically a best practice.

• 3.  RE: Disabling spanning tree on 7210 Controllers

Posted May 31, 2018 09:32 AM

Thanks for the quick answer to question 1.

I would still like to understand what the behaviour of the controller will be with spanning tree disabled. Will MSTP BPDUs coming in to a port on the controller be forwarded out of other ports, or will they be dropped?

• 4.  RE: Disabling spanning tree on 7210 Controllers

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 31, 2018 09:41 AM

It will be forwarded out of ports on the same VLAN.