Wireless Access

last person joined: an hour ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Export APs to rename and update in a controller

This thread has been viewed 4 times
  • 1.  Export APs to rename and update in a controller

Posted Apr 14, 2014 10:58 AM

As part of a cleanup effort and to standardize our configs, I'm in the process of renaming the APs in all of our offices on multiple controllers.  I'm wondering if there's way to do this in bulk via CSV (export them, change the names and dump back in)?

thx!

• 2.  RE: Export APs to rename and update in a controller

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 14, 2014 11:01 AM

You could copy the output of show ap database and paste it into a text file and then use excel to read spaces as columns. This would let you extract the MAC address and name columns. Then you can concat the MAC address or old AP name into the ap-rename command.

• 3.  RE: Export APs to rename and update in a controller

Posted Apr 14, 2014 11:02 AM

Cool idea!  I'll try it out and follow-up with my results.

Appreciate it

• 4.  RE: Export APs to rename and update in a controller

Posted Apr 14, 2014 11:06 AM
    That will work perfectly. Just remember the APs will reboot when you change their name (or most any of the other provisioning parameters).

• 5.  RE: Export APs to rename and update in a controller

Posted Apr 14, 2014 11:08 AM

Excellent point...i did a small site (<15 devices) and discovered that.  Fortunately it was in California and about 5 am at the time...:smileyhappy:

• 6.  RE: Export APs to rename and update in a controller
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 14, 2014 11:05 AM

It might be easier to do a find and replace for a single space and replace with a comma, then save as a CSV.

find-replace-commans.png