Wireless Access

last person joined: 2 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Extend the authentication idle timeout to more than 4.5hours (for captive guest users)

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Extend the authentication idle timeout to more than 4.5hours (for captive guest users)

Posted Nov 15, 2013 02:04 PM

Hi Airheads,

:heart:

I have a big client (an hospital)  that using Aruba OS 6.1.3.X and would like to extend the user-idle time out for the guest that logged in via captive portal to more than 4.5 hours.

As far as I aware , this is the maximum number that can be configured in 6.1.3.X.

• If he will upgrade to 6.2.X or 6.3 , does he will be able to increase user-idle time out to 24 hours?
    • If he will use external DB (A.D/RADIUS) ,does he will be able to increase the user time out to 24 hours?

Please advise.

Why it limited to only 4.5hours ,and how to bypass this limitations in order to enable 24 hours of Idle-Time-Out.

(Is the only solution is to use CPPM?)

Thanks in advance,

Me

• 2.  RE: Extend the authentication idle timeout to more than 4.5hours (for captive guest users)
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 15, 2013 02:33 PM
    If they do not use CPPM, yes. The built in Captive Portal only provides basic guest capability, and with that comes limitations like the 4.5 hour limit.

• 3.  RE: Extend the authentication idle timeout to more than 4.5hours (for captive guest users)

Posted Nov 15, 2013 02:39 PM
    Thanks - that what i knew.
    Just want to get an official answer.

have a gr8 weekend,

Me.

• 4.  RE: Extend the authentication idle timeout to more than 4.5hours (for captive guest users)

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 15, 2013 02:52 PM
    To be clear, in 6.3 there is a user-idle-time out in the Captive Portal profile so that only users that connect to that SSID are affected, bit that has the same time limitation.

• 5.  RE: Extend the authentication idle timeout to more than 4.5hours (for captive guest users)

Posted Nov 15, 2013 02:54 PM

Thanks agian! :)

• 6.  RE: Extend the authentication idle timeout to more than 4.5hours (for captive guest users)

Posted Aug 27, 2014 02:46 AM

Hello

i have 6.3 version wheres is that option?

I have users in the guest SSID and they not autenticate, the device connect to the SSID when they turn on or nearby of the network and they waste my dhcp pool i want to kick out of the net for some time idle.

• 7.  RE: Extend the authentication idle timeout to more than 4.5hours (for captive guest users)

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 27, 2014 08:14 AM

captive-portal-user-idle.png

• 8.  RE: Extend the authentication idle timeout to more than 4.5hours (for captive guest users)

Posted Apr 22, 2015 06:27 AM

Tim

I am running 6.3.1 firmware. If the feild is left empty, what is the default user idle timeout