Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Extend wireless

This thread has been viewed 4 times
  • 1.  Extend wireless

Posted Apr 21, 2020 03:57 PM

I have (2) IAP 215s and was wanting to know if I can use them to extend wireless range since I can't use a wired connection. Is this what mesh is used for? Is this another option similar to some type of extender? Here is what I was thinking if it will work. One of them would be connected to router via wire and the other would connect wirelessly. Could users connect to either AP and they would have the same SSIDs?

Thanks,

Tom

• 2.  RE: Extend wireless

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 22, 2020 03:38 AM

That is what mesh will do. Check this training video (Module 7) on how to set it up. In summary: disable the extended SSID option (or leave it disabled), configure the APs while connected to the same wired network to form a cluster, then disconnect one (mesh point) and power it within the range of the connected AP (mesh portal).

Mesh connection will run on the 5 GHz radio

Throughput/performance on the 5GHz will reduce (50-75% reduction from the maximum) as the mesh point needs all traffic for clients connected there to be repeated by the mesh point.