Wireless Access

Guru Elite

Re: Fast-Failover in VRRP setup

You can use either one, in that scenario.

*Answers and views expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily the position of Aruba Networks or Hewlett Packard Enterprise.*
ArubaOS 8.4 User Guide
InstantOS 8.3 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Aruba Central Documentation
Aruba Technical Webinars
Contributor II

Thanks for the reply.

When you say either one, do you mean use VRRP - OR - use HA Fast Failover as failover mechanism.

I'm trying to figure out if there's an advantage in running both simultaniously?

Guru Elite

Yes.

There is no significant advantage to running them simultaneously if you are using master/backup master (standby) and you are already pointing access points to the VRRP.

*Answers and views expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily the position of Aruba Networks or Hewlett Packard Enterprise.*
ArubaOS 8.4 User Guide
InstantOS 8.3 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Aruba Technical Webinars
Occasional Contributor I

Well, Configuring APFF in addition to VRRP on Master Active/Standby will help in the situation where you have many APs and you need them to smoothly moving from the Active to Standby at the time of failure. With APFF and HA the APs will create two IPSec/GRE tunnels to the Active and Standby controllers that help the APs to imidiatly switch to the standby controller (Less delay time).

Guru Elite

The standby controller will not be able to service clients until it has control of the VRRP.  If the access points fail over before the VRRP is switched, the clients on those access points will not be able to do anything.

It is best to just deploy APS pointing to a VRRP between master/standby.  For any other relationship, fast failover will work just fine.

ArubaOS 8.4 User Guide
InstantOS 8.3 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Aruba Technical Webinars
Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: