Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Get status of all cluster APs from Mobility Master by SNMP

This thread has been viewed 7 times
  • 1.  Get status of all cluster APs from Mobility Master by SNMP

Posted Apr 08, 2020 01:41 PM

Hello Airheads,

We're trying to get the status (up/down) of all access points connected to underlying MDs from a Mobility Master via SNMP. Where in the past we read it directly from the controllers we're looking for a way to read it from the MM because of it's overview of the network.

Anyone who did this or knows which SNMP OID to use? Using an SNMP-walk on the MMs it stopped after collecting 76MB of data without showing any info on the AP's up/down status.

Regards,

Johan 

• 2.  RE: Get status of all cluster APs from Mobility Master by SNMP
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 08, 2020 03:00 PM
      |   view attached

Hi,

I had a similar requirement from one of my customers. We ended up using the AOS 8 APIs instead of SNMP as it was more efficient.

Attached is a sample Python code which I have used to demo similar functionality. You just need to change the MAIN.py file lines 10-12 to reflect your setup. You can call the MM or the controller directly and parse the output of the commands. In this example, I am running show global-user-table list and show ap database long against MM and saving a subset of the returned JSON data. In your case, you can remove the show global-user-table list section, and change the commands to show ap database status up or show ap database status down...

Below is a sample of the print output of the code. The code also saves the results in two CSV files. 

image.png

As for the SNMP OID, you might want to look at this OID .1.3.6.1.4.1.14823.2.2.1.5.2.1.4 but I am not sure if this works on MM (it works on controller)

Screenshot 2020-04-08 at 22.56.46.png

Attachment(s)

zip
    AOS 8 - API Sample.zip   3 KB 1 version

• 3.  RE: Get status of all cluster APs from Mobility Master by SNMP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 09, 2020 04:18 AM

@ayman_mukaddam wrote:

As for the SNMP OID, you might want to look at this OID .1.3.6.1.4.1.14823.2.2.1.5.2.1.4 but I am not sure if this works on MM (it works on controller)

FYI, this OID does not work on an MM, using the API as you pointed out, is the way to do it.

• 4.  RE: Get status of all cluster APs from Mobility Master by SNMP

Posted Apr 09, 2020 04:30 AM

Thank you! We will then continue with the script.

• 5.  RE: Get status of all cluster APs from Mobility Master by SNMP

Posted Apr 09, 2020 04:29 AM

Hello Ayman,

Many thanks for your quick reply and sharing your solution! With the reply below that the SNMP OUI does not work on the MM itself, we're going to find out how to implement your script in our monitoring systems.

Regards,

Johan