Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Getting power consumption of APs via ArubaOS API

This thread has been viewed 10 times
  • 1.  Getting power consumption of APs via ArubaOS API

Posted May 26, 2020 10:48 AM

Hello everybody,

we have an Mobility-Master managed Aruba deployment and I want to get the power consumption of an AP via ArubaAPI on the MM. Is this possible? Or are there other ways to get this data?

I could get it from our switches but i don't want to walk over every switch an ap is connected to.

Thanks for your help.

• 2.  RE: Getting power consumption of APs via ArubaOS API

MVP
    Posted May 26, 2020 04:32 PM

Following... and hope someone from Aruba chimes in.

I've been looking into this as well and cant find anything. I was hoping there would be an OID I could run against the controllers to return actual power consumption but I couldn't find anything.

Closest on the controller CLI I can find is the "Power Status" section of show ap debug system-status but even this doesnt display actual power consumed. Ive had to revert to the switches to get actual power usage. Probably going to have to end up writing a script to walk and poll all of the switchports for my APs to get actual power usage. Wish there was a way to poll this from the controllers.

Part of my research is two fold - one for just auditing power in general... the other is I'm playing with 802.3az and I'm having trouble confirming if the APs are actually reducing power.

• 3.  RE: Getting power consumption of APs via ArubaOS API
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 30, 2020 01:59 AM

unfortunately there is no way to gather all power usage of multiple APs in an easy manner. We have some minor CLI improvements in newer code with newer APs, see "show ap power-mgmt-statistics ap-name <>" but not all APs support this, nor all AOS versions.

(Aruba7008) [mynode] #show ap power-mgmt-statistics ap-name ap555

AP Power Mgmt Status, Last update at 2020-05-30 13:52:01
    --------------------------------------------------------
    Attr                Value
    ----                -----
    LLDP Granted Power  Eth 0: 25.1 Eth 1: 0.0
    LLDP Request Power  Eth 0: 25.1 Eth 1: 25.1
    Temperature         Highest temperature: 50°C, Lowest temperature: 48°C, Current temperature: 50°C
    Power Supply        POE-AT
    USB Status          USB Knob: Auto, USB Status: Disabled
    PSE Status          N.A.
    ETH Status          Eth 0:Enabled. Eth 1:Disabled. 
    G-radio Chain       4*4
    G-radio Enable      Enabled
    G-radio Power       Full Power
    A-radio Chain       4*4
    A-radio Enable      Enabled
    A-radio Power       Full Power
    CPU Throttle        100%
    Power Consumption   8.8W    << 
    IPM Enable          Disabled
    ITM Status          Not Supported
    (Aruba7008_26_54_9C) [mynode] # 

In the ap debug system status, just below the "Power Status" output you should find the the power consumption:

Power Monitoring Information
    ----------------------------
    Current(mW)  Average(mW)  Minimum(mW)  Maximum(mW)
    -----------  -----------  -----------  -----------
    5841         5730         5640         6542

Note : Avg, Min and Max power are calculated using values sampled over the previous 60 seconds

that information together with power status should give you an idea of what the AP is doing (together these are rolled up into "ap power-mgmt-statistics" on AOS versions that support it, I think 8.6 and up.

With that said, trying to use a script to continually poll many APs using "show ap debug system-status" is not recommended on a production system.

• 4.  RE: Getting power consumption of APs via ArubaOS API

MVP
    Posted Jun 01, 2020 10:44 AM

@jgoff - Thanks for this update...

Any idea which models will support the new commands? Only 5xx series? What about any 3xx series, or current hospitality models (303H & 205H)?

• 5.  RE: Getting power consumption of APs via ArubaOS API

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 01, 2020 10:13 PM

@censania - the "ap power-mgmt-statistics" if i recall exists on AP 345 in addition to all AP 5xx, but it won't be back-ported to older APs like 303H and 205H unfortunately.