Wireless Access

Contributor I

Google Chromecast Provisioning Issue

Howdy:

We are having troubles with provisioning Google Chromecasts on our wireless network and was wondering if anyone else has seen this.

As a quick overview, we are end to end Aruba Wireless and ClearPass.  Any EAP-TLS capable device is allowed on our WPI-Wireless and eduroam networks.  When connecting this way, the ClearPass Endpoint record is flagged as being EAP-TLS capable.

We also have a WPI-Open unsecure network for media devices/game consoles/etc.  To be on the WPI-Open network, the device must be registered in our IPAM which then creates a ClearPass EndPoint and Guest Device.  Due to the magic of Aruba ClearPass, we are not allowing EAP-TLS flagged devices on WPI-Open. 

Then due to the voodoo – a much higher level of magic – of Aruba AirGroups, devices on one network can talk to the other without problem.  This has been proven with an AppleTV and iPhone – so it does work.

Enter the "Google Home" app on Android devices.  This app appears to communicate from the phone on WPI-Wireless to the Chromecast on WPI-Open during the provisioning process.  But near the end of the provisioning process, the Google Home app attempts to move the phone from WPI-Wireless to WPI-Open.  This operation is not supported in our environment so the process never completes despite the two devices seemingly being able to communicate.

I have been told that before the Google Home app – back when the app was the Chromecast app – you could provision a Chromecast and it would work flawlessly in this type of scenario.

Has anyone ever run into this problem the field?  How did you solve it?

Many thanks!

--ben

Benjamin J. Higgins (’97)
Worcester Polytechnic Institute
Guru Elite

Re: Google Chromecast Provisioning Issue

New Contributor

Did you have any luck getting this to work? We have a similar issue on our network, and currently don't officially support Chromecast or Google Home.

Guru Elite

Are you using AirGroup?

Which version of code?

ClearPass?

Should work without issue.

| Tim Cappalli | Aruba Security | @timcappalli | timcappalli.me |

NOTE: Answers and views expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily the position of Aruba or Hewlett Packard Enterprise.
Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: