Wireless Access

last person joined: 15 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Guest wifi access time schedule management

This thread has been viewed 8 times
  • 1.  Guest wifi access time schedule management

Posted May 20, 2018 05:50 AM
    Hi everybody. First, i am sorry for bad English.
    I want to give some users, each with a private password to access a ssid, each person has different times, for example a month or a week depending on people.
    These people do not share the password, because the password must be associated with the Mac address. Automatically revoke passwords when expired.
    It is possible to allow that person to enter the password on the first floor, but not to the second floor, or the entire floor, the Ap depends on the configuration.
    Administrators can be administrators who have been granted password history, for example, granted on any day, expired date, granted how many times ...
    This can be used by the controller or using ClearPass? thank you for support.

• 2.  RE: Guest wifi access time schedule management

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 20, 2018 11:15 AM

"It is possible to allow that person to enter the password on the first floor, but not to the second floor, or the entire floor, the Ap depends on the configuration." -

Unfortunately devices can associate to an access point on the same floor, the floor above or the floor below so it would be hard to enforce that in a way that would be practical. I will let others comment on the other requirements.

• 3.  RE: Guest wifi access time schedule management

Posted May 20, 2018 01:59 PM
    Thank you, so that cannot do it on some AP in all AP ?
    I care most about is Guest Provisioning on Controller enough to do all feature i asked (provide and manage password+schedule time to each user/device) or must buy something like Clearpass, or impossible

• 4.  RE: Guest wifi access time schedule management

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 20, 2018 02:09 PM

For the granularity you've asked for, i.e. locking a password to a mac address, or trying to restrict a login to a group of APs, you will most likely want to use an external authenticator like ClearPass.

• 5.  RE: Guest wifi access time schedule management

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 20, 2018 03:56 PM

@The Tung wrote:
    Thank you, so that cannot do it on some AP in all AP ?
    I care most about is Guest Provisioning on Controller enough to do all feature i asked (provide and manage password+schedule time to each user/device) or must buy something like Clearpass, or impossible

I am sure you can do it on some access points, but it might be difficult to understand where a user actually is based on the access point he is associated to.

• 6.  RE: Guest wifi access time schedule management

Posted May 20, 2018 11:41 PM

So in summary, to assign passwords for each device and the validity period, I need a controller or a ClearPass mandatory. I would prefer if the controller did this because buying a ClearPass not recommended

• 7.  RE: Guest wifi access time schedule management
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 21, 2018 12:08 AM

The controller only authenticates users, it does not correlate a user to a specific device. For the granular functionality you've requested, ClearPass is the recommended solution.