Wireless Access

Trusted Contributor I

Re: HA fast failover configuration giude

DSP i would start a new thread if i were you, these are partly totally different questions.

1) not 100% sure,  but i believe if you provision them to a local controller then they can restart fine without the master being reachable. new APs might have issues to get into the system.

2) it might get them there, but the locals will be kinda unmanagable without a master so not sure if this will do any good. asssuming 1 is correct you don't need this anyway.

3) i believe i get auth request from my local controllers in clearpass, so that will keep working

3 again and 4) you lost me a little there. as mentioned start a new thread, add some info on your exact setup (image, device types, version) and repost.

Occasional Contributor II

When i read all the discussions, feeling better to go with VRRP only. In a normal campus environment, normally will not use master-local set up (Active/Active will work properly only with Master-local set up)

Please correct, if i am wrong.

Reg,

Shamz

Guru Elite

It is simpler to setup VRRP-based or LMS-IP-based failover, sure.  HA failover is definitely faster and offers quicker recovery from a controller failure.  The good part is that we have a choice.

*Answers and views expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily the position of Aruba Networks or Hewlett Packard Enterprise.*
ArubaOS 8.4 User Guide
InstantOS 8.3 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Aruba Central Documentation
Aruba Technical Webinars

Thanks for your tech note;

In the Active/Active, the controllers will synch only if the setup is Master-Local. In case of Master-Master; required Airwave.

am i correct?

Reg,

Shamz

Guru Elite

If you use master/backup master they will sync their configurations. Backup masters cannot terminate access points however.

If you have a master/master install Airwave is required to synchronize configurations, yes..

*Answers and views expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily the position of Aruba Networks or Hewlett Packard Enterprise.*
ArubaOS 8.4 User Guide
InstantOS 8.3 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Aruba Technical Webinars
Guru Elite

Also, just to clarify, master/local is still technically active/active as both controllers can terminate APs.

| Tim Cappalli | Aruba Security | @timcappalli | timcappalli.me |

NOTE: Answers and views expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily the position of Aruba or Hewlett Packard Enterprise.
Highlighted

Just one more thing for clarification;

in Master/Master setup with VRRP, Airwave required or not to synch the controllers?

Reg,

Shamz..

Guru Elite

Only in master/local or master/backup-master are the configurations synchronized automatically.  All other scenarios they configurations must be synchronized manually or with airwave.

ArubaOS 8.4 User Guide
InstantOS 8.3 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Aruba Technical Webinars

Just want to confirm - master-master redundancy cannot be used with HA, because in HA mode the APs will establish tunnels to both controllers, and a master that is currently in standby mode will not terminate AP tunnels.  Is that correct?

The solution would be to remove master-master redundancy, make both controllers into standalone masters, and use AirWave to ensure that configuration is kept synchronized.  Correct?

---
Jon Green, ACMX, CISSP
Security Guy
MVP Guru

HA with Master redundancy :

It is supported starting AOS 6.4 and up

Thank you

Victor Fabian
Lead Mobility Architect @WEI
AMFX | ACMX | ACDX | ACCX | CWAP | CWDP | CWNA
Search Airheads