Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Hello- need some help with WAPS showing down after power cycling switch

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Hello- need some help with WAPS showing down after power cycling switch

Posted Jul 13, 2014 10:53 AM

Hello- I am not too proficient with the Aruba equipment we have where I work, so I am hoping to learn here.

We have a s2500 aruba switch in our IT room with 13 connected WAPS.  We broadcast two WIFI networks, a guest and an employee.

Typically this all works without any intervention.  However this morning, we needed to move the switch to a new back up UPS.  After powering it up...neither of the WIFI networks are broadcasting.  On the controller dashboard, it shows all of the WAPS down... but the switch itself looks normal and the WAPS themself looks normal (green light).

Not sure what else to do..and don't know too much about it....our support from our vendor is not great...and today is Sunday- so I ahve no support but would like to get this ready before the monday morning workday.

Any thoughts on what I can try?  I do have full access to the web portal / mobility controller.

Thanks!

• 2.  RE: Hello- need some help with WAPS showing down after power cycling switch

Posted Jul 13, 2014 11:06 AM
    If possible I would hook up a console cable to one of the APs as it boots to see if its properly discovering the master and is able to reach it. Also try pinging any of the APs from the master and ensure they're reachable on the network.

• 3.  RE: Hello- need some help with WAPS showing down after power cycling switch

Posted Jul 13, 2014 05:57 PM

I pinged one of the AP's from the console and it failed.  I then ran traceroute to the same IP- and it seemed to go through?  So I then tried to ping it again and this time it said 'sucessful'.  Suddenly both networks started broadcasting again and I was able to connect. 

When I looked at the daskboard all of the WAPS that said they were down were now up and everything seems fine.

GREAT!... but trying to understand what happened and how pinging/tracing a WAP's IP seemed to bring everything back?  This is definitely not a timing coincidence either...it has been hours since my first post and the wireless was still down 15 minutes ago before I started the pinging and tracing...

Is this normal?

• 4.  RE: Hello- need some help with WAPS showing down after power cycling switch

Posted Jul 13, 2014 10:17 PM
    Most definitely not normal. Is everything on the same LAN or are the APs and controllers seperated by a firewall or VPN?