Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Help with streamlining guest self registration process.

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Help with streamlining guest self registration process.

Posted Apr 16, 2018 03:01 PM

I am working on a guest self-registration process that basically uses self-sponsorship. When a user attemps to connect to the guest wireless system he/she is prompted to enter a name that can be any value and a valid email address and has to accept terms of use.

Once they enter that information they are sent to a receipt page that has their name, account username (email address), Guest Password, activation time and expiration time (72hrs). Once they hit login, they are given 10 minutes of access time to confirm the access in an email that they registered with. They click on the link in the email, it takes them back to the captive portal where they click another button and they now have 72 hours of access time.

It's pretty clunky and I would rather do it more simply but capturing valid email addresses is a requirement from legal here. 

What I want to do is remove the username and password from the receipt form. They are essentially irrelevant. They are also displayed as links which gives users something else to click on and confuse the process more. Hiding them would be fine too.

When I remove the username and password from the receipt form, the receipt captive portal screen looks much cleaner. When I click on Log in, it then loops me back to the initial log in captive portal. It needs those values because access tracker has a reject message with unknown client.

Can anyone suggest a way around this or a better way of doing this?

• 2.  RE: Help with streamlining guest self registration process.

Posted Apr 19, 2018 10:58 AM

You will want to hide the password field instead of disabling it.

Have a look at this post:

https://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Security/Hide-password-field-for-the-user/m-p/198925/highlight/true#M14862

It should help. :)

• 3.  RE: Help with streamlining guest self registration process.

Posted Apr 19, 2018 10:59 AM
    Also hide the username field.

• 4.  RE: Help with streamlining guest self registration process.

Posted Apr 19, 2018 12:41 PM
    That's a great idea.

I tried it and it has no effect.
    I can change the the label for that field and those changes are visible on
    the receipt form but if I set the password field to hidden it still is
    displayed.
    The username field does the same thing.