Wireless Access

last person joined: 16 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

High Availability questions

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  High Availability questions

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 02, 2014 08:17 AM

I have a few questions regarding the new high availability feature in 6.3 and above.  I understand it fairly well, but have not configured yet, but looking to do so for some customers after upgrades.  Just wanted to be clear on a few things, and hopefully someone else may find the answers useful.

1. ha groups are configured on the master and pushed down to the locals?
    2. ha group membership must be configured on each respective local?
    3. a controller can only be a member of one group?
    4. understand the ha backup cannot be a master-vrrp.  Realise this is addressed in 6.4, but are there plans to fix in a 6.3 release?  That said, would it work if the backup-lms was the master-ip instead of the master-vrrp?
    5. are there any specific troubleshooting commands to check the status of ha, such as checking the aps connection to its backup is fine etc?
    6. bridged ssids not supported for ha in 6.3, but any issues with that controller in a ha-group?  Is it just the case that tunnelled aps do fast failover but the bridged ones do the traditional rebootstrap?

So in an N+1 deployment with backup-lms as follows.  Arrows show direction of failover.

N1-normal.jpg

The ha-group would look like this?

ha group-profile ha-group
    controller <A-ip> role standby
    controller <B-ip> role active
    controller <C-ip> role active
    controller <D-ip> role active

I have another slightly different setup for a customer that looks like this.  Arrows show direction of failover.

N1-skew.jpg

The ha-group would look like this?

ha group-profile ha-group
    controller <A-ip> role standby
    controller <B-ip> role active
    controller <C-ip> role dual
    controller <D-ip> role active

Thanks

• 2.  RE: High Availability questions
    Best Answer