Wireless Access

last person joined: 10 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Hospitality Design

This thread has been viewed 3 times
  • 1.  Hospitality Design

Posted Apr 26, 2013 08:57 PM

HEllo

I got a question regarding this

As far i read on the degisn VRD putting APS on the corridors is bad.. because when you deploy it if i got 4 or 5 aps on the corridor they will see each other..... the how you do it is putting the APS on the rooms

Now i was thinking

It is okay let say there are in a corridor for example like 12 rooms  on each side of the corridor total of 24 rooms in one corridor

In that corridor let say i put just one AP on the corridor to cover  for example 4 rooms(i got back luck because in the design of those rooms one AP cannot cover the room next to it.....  so i have to put one in each room...)

I mean just puting the AP in the corridor and in all the other rooms inside the rooms like the VRD says...

If i do this it would save up a LOT of aps and the quote would be really less expensive i mean by a lot by just putting one AP in the corridor... and all the others inside the rooms...

Anyways is this kind of setup a valid setup like putting One or just 2 APS in the corridor and all the others in the rooms ?

IF it valid what consideratins i need to take in mind before doig this?

Cheers

Carlos

• 2.  RE: Hospitality Design

Posted Apr 29, 2013 02:50 PM

Carlos,

I'm one of the authors of that VRD.   Your question isn't coming through clearly.  

The design we are recommending should not cost less than hallway APs, it should cost more.

APs seeing each other in the hallway is certainly an issue with hallway placements.  However, the real problem is propagation losses through walls, doors and furniture.  

The core point of the VRD is that trying to get away "on the cheap" with a few APs to cover a whole floor from a hallway is incompatible with today's user expectations in the rooms themselves.   The only way to meet the need is to go denser and into the rooms.

The level of density depends on the construction type.  In the paper - for simplicity - we divide the world into 2 kinds of buildings - high attenuation (HA) and low attenuation (LA).  Meaning 10-20dB per wall for the former, and 3-6dB per wall for the latter.

In an HA building, you must put APs in each and every room.   We've tested this extensively in many real customers.  We find over and over again that in HA, the rooms to the left and right of a room with an AP have very poor throughput  (even if they are showing 4-5 bars).   Remember that "bars" are just beacon strength and beacons are transmitted at lowest OFDM rate and therefore have highest power.  Actual higher level modulations like MCS6/7 or MCS14/15 are sent with significantly LESS transmit power due to backoff requirements in the radio power amplifer design to maintain signal linearity.

In an LA building, our position is you can cover 1 room on either side of the room with the AP.  In other words, 1 AP per 3 rooms.  

You actually do not need hallway APs in this design in most cases.

So in your example of 24 rooms, in an LA building you need 8 APs which is twice the number you said you had now.   In an HA building you need 24 APs.

In LA you run hotter TX power, in HA you run very low power because you don't need to go past the first wall and we want to limit CCI.

-cl

• 3.  RE: Hospitality Design

Posted Apr 29, 2013 04:19 PM

Hello thanks for your reply!!!!!!

This hotel is kind of.special as there are rooms with ha model and anothers with la model all in the same floor...

whats make it like it? Well 2 things
    1, there is zinc in the wall likefor decoration in some rooms which makes really hig attenuation! The signal hardly goes to the next room... About 83dbi
    2, between each2 room there is a bathroom one in eachroom so the signal need to.croosss one room bathroom then the other room bathroom...and in those rooms the signall hardly goes over the other room which is next to it.. Aroudn ,79

That.the issue im facing

Sorry for typos im on my cellphone