Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

How can I use 1 SSID to support 6 events

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  How can I use 1 SSID to support 6 events

Posted Aug 25, 2018 04:10 PM

I work at a hall that uses Aruba Controller 7205, I was told that a controller can have only 4 SSID.  The hall can be section off into one big hall or 7 Halls.  The controller has 3 SSID already in use which leaves 1 to support the halls.  I have configured the APs into groups Hall-1 Hall-2 Hall-3 Hall-4 Hall-5 Hall-6 Hall-7.  The idea when the system was purchased was to have each Hall have its own SSID.  But if the controller can have only 4 SSID, how can I use 1 SSID to support 7 halls.  Someone said to look at clearpass, I'm not familiar with Aruba products, so not sure if that is an option.  So how can I configure the controller to support 7 halls or if clearpass is the option, how can I configure clearpass to support 7 halls? 

• 2.  RE: How can I use 1 SSID to support 6 events

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 25, 2018 04:14 PM

What do all those users need except for internet?

• 3.  RE: How can I use 1 SSID to support 6 events

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 25, 2018 06:49 PM
    To answer your question, you can have up to 16 ssids, but you should not do that for performance reasons. If you have a generic SSID, you could have 6 logins, if you would like.

• 4.  RE: How can I use 1 SSID to support 6 events

Posted Aug 25, 2018 08:02 PM

I would like to  use bet practice.  I was informed that going over 4, you would start to see bandwidth issues.  The guet users would only need internet access.  When the events are held they are for different business.  Hall 1 may be for education, Hall 2 may be for sports, Hall 3 may be for fishing, Hall 4 may be for book reading clubs, Hall 5 may be for Dr. convention, and so on and so on.  The each would like to have their own secure SSID be boadcast for thier event. 

So if 4 SSID is the best practice number how can I achive this.  If not by the controller, could by clear pass. 

• 5.  RE: How can I use 1 SSID to support 6 events

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 25, 2018 08:43 PM

When you say "secure" SSID do you mean WPA2-PSK SSIDs?

You could configure all of the SSIDs and remove the lower rates on those SSIDs to reduce RF utilization, along with making sure that you use Broadcast Filtering.  You can try it for a few days and see how it performs, by looking at the Performance Dashboard for Utiliztion.