Wireless Access

last person joined: 10 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

How can i do change the time setting of the controller without rebooting ?

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  How can i do change the time setting of the controller without rebooting ?

Posted Feb 22, 2012 10:27 AM

Hi,

I want to change the time setting of the controller ( only hours and minutes ). but  when i try to change in the command-line   controller says, "controller will restart after applying setting" .

thanks,

Omer.

• 2.  RE: How can i do change the time setting of the controller without rebooting ?
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 22, 2012 10:34 AM

Just don't reboot.

• 3.  RE: How can i do change the time setting of the controller without rebooting ?

Posted Feb 22, 2012 10:37 AM

@byactivex wrote:

Hi,

I want to change the time setting of the controller ( only hours and minutes ). but  when i try to change in the command-line   controller says, "controller will restart after applying setting" .

thanks,

Omer.

Omer, 

Changing the clock setting requires a reboot, but it wont automatically reboot the controller after setting the clock. You may reboot the controller during your maintenance window. 

# show clock

Wed Feb 22 07:30:47 PST 2012

#clock set 2012 february 22 07 35 45
    WARNING:Changing the system clock will require a reboot of the controller.

Are you sure you want to continue(y/n): y
    Switch Real Time Clock is changed. The controller must be rebooted now.

# show clock

Wed Feb 22 07:35:46 PST 2012

• 4.  RE: How can i do change the time setting of the controller without rebooting ?

Posted Jul 28, 2015 12:43 PM

i was anticipating reboot however all that i got after hitting "y" to accept the setting was just a logout from gui and i had to authenticate on my wirelessly connected laptop, even my ssh session stayed up. looks like it is just a internal process restart not actual reboot.

• 5.  RE: How can i do change the time setting of the controller without rebooting ?
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 28, 2015 12:53 PM

EXCEPT - That the times that all of your users are connected will be skewed (user time is calculated as the difference between when they first connected and the current time) .  If that is not important to you, or conflicting logs registering the wrong times, you should not have a problem.

• 6.  RE: How can i do change the time setting of the controller without rebooting ?

Posted Mar 17, 2016 10:06 PM

So, does it actually require a reboot though? I see that changing the time gives the warning, and we hit y and the clock is changed. Is that it? Are we done, or is a full reboot really necessary and why?

Mike

• 7.  RE: How can i do change the time setting of the controller without rebooting ?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 17, 2016 10:37 PM

Please see my comment above...

• 8.  RE: How can i do change the time setting of the controller without rebooting ?

Posted Mar 22, 2016 12:27 AM

It is probably a good practice to reboot the controller if you have changed the time.  In the early days, I have observed client authentication affected if the time delta is large.  

Just schedule a maintenance windows and reboot the controller. 

-michael