Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

How do APs react to high Temp environments

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  How do APs react to high Temp environments

Posted Aug 13, 2018 06:55 PM

I have IAP 205 in  warehouse 35ft high. All was fine until a recent heat wave. Not disconnects and drops are experienced. No AC in the warehouse and temps are getting up to 90 degrees F on the floor. 35ft up could be higher. IAP 205 i belive can withstand temps of 104. What kind of behavior can be excpected from an AP that is  beyond its  enviromental heat recommedation? 

• 2.  RE: How do APs react to high Temp environments

MVP
    Posted Aug 15, 2018 11:38 AM

The AP-200 series recommended operating temperature is 32 degrees (F) - 104 degrees (F) as you mentioned. 

For information about the internals of an AP - google "Anatomy of an AP aruba" and you can review the parts inside, but a lot of the AP is made of plastic, so theoretically higher temps could cause components to become damaged.

I think the recommended AP for an environment that exceeds temperature or other conditions would be the AP-228 (up to 140 degrees F) for 802.11ac Wave 1. If that AP continues to have trouble, it may be worth considering swapping for that model. 

I would consult your local Aruba rep for more details.