Wireless Access

last person joined: 19 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

How to reduce interference in OAW-4030

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  How to reduce interference in OAW-4030

Posted Jul 11, 2019 02:12 AM
      |   view attached

Dear Guys

I have 12 Access Points in my network of model (105,103) along with 1 controller 4030 with OS 6.5.All APs are placed as per the design according to heat map.

2 days before some of the users started to face outage in the network and the signal strength was also slow.

There are other companies in the neighbous, whose APs are broadcasting their SSIDs.When i looked into Security tab in Dashboard i saw Interfering Active APs are 28 and associated clients with them are 68.

As i am new to Aruba Controller so please guide me the procedure how to get rid of this interference so that users can get proper internet speed and coverage.

Or if there is any other suggestions to get rid of this issue please guide me.

Attached is the image for further reference

• 2.  RE: How to reduce interference in OAW-4030

Posted Jul 11, 2019 04:06 AM

802.11 uses unlicensed radio frequencies that are freely available for anyone to use, so there is no way to avoid interference. However, 802.11 also uses CSMA/CA, which means that when a radio is transmitting, other radios should not be, which helps minimize interference by sharing the frequencies.

Some things you can do are to only use channels 1,6, and 11 in the 2.4 GHz band, and only use 20 MHz channel widths in this band. However, you should try to avoid using the 2.4 GHz band if possible, as there are only 3 non-overlapping channels, and more devices per channel, so more interference. You can also try talking to your neighbors and ask them to switch to 20 MHz channel widths. It's to everyone's advantage. Less interference and more cooperation = more throughput for everyone.

Look at your client connections to see if they are connecting using 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz. Depending upon where your network is installed (what country), you likely have at least 8 channels available in the 5 GHz band, and possibly many more. Because 5 GHz has more channels, it is less congested and has less interference.

If you want to understand 802.11 in more depth and how it works, look into attending a Certified Wireles Network Administrator class or reading one of the CWNA books (Sybex CWNA Study Guide or Certitrek CWNA Study Guide).

I hope this helps,