Wireless Access

last person joined: 14 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

How to setup P2P Bridge using Ap-377's

This thread has been viewed 6 times
  • 1.  How to setup P2P Bridge using Ap-377's

Posted Nov 28, 2018 11:01 AM

I need to setup a P2P Bridge using two AP-377's.  My controller is still in 6.4.x code and isn't scheduled to be upgraded for at least a month, so it can't be done through the controller and I need these to not 'look' for the controller.  The fiber connection will be cut (construction) any day.

I've done this once before using MSR2000's but the 8.3 code on the 377's is quite different.  Could anyone share a known-good config or some documentation?  I don't need an SSID on the 377 as there is already an AP on the far end that will handle it.  Must there be one?  

Someone else's poor planning has become my emergency so I don't have much time to research and do trial and error.  I appreciate any assistance very much.

• 2.  RE: How to setup P2P Bridge using Ap-377's

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 28, 2018 11:22 AM

Since that AP-377 should be using UAP code, they should come up as Instant APs.  The instructions here should apply:  https://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Controller-less-WLANs/How-do-I-configure-wired-bridging-over-a-mesh-link/ta-p/181020

• 3.  RE: How to setup P2P Bridge using Ap-377's

Posted Nov 28, 2018 12:53 PM

Thank you.  I do not yet have them setup in a cluster.  I don't really want an SSID to be broadcast from them.  There are a lot of settings in the 8.3 Instant doc that don't seem to apply when it will be used only as a bridge.  I'm looking to find out what settings to configure on the VC and what to leave be.  

• 4.  RE: How to setup P2P Bridge using Ap-377's

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 28, 2018 02:03 PM

Instant AP mesh is your only option in your current scenario.

• 5.  RE: How to setup P2P Bridge using Ap-377's

Posted Nov 28, 2018 03:17 PM

Sorry, I don't think I'm understanding.  Following the 8.3 Instant User Guide, right after 'give each AP a static IP', which I've done, is 'Provision it'.  How?  and Why?  My controller is not going to see these AP's because it isn't on 8.x code.  Next in the User Guide is to 'activate' the AP.  Activate to what?

I have one AP configured with an IP, connected to the network switch and can connect to it and open a WebUI.    The second AP has been given a static IP and connected to the network switch.  It is in a constant loop and reboots after "Rebooting AP due to default-ip not allowed in this network".  Auto join is enabled.  Did I miss a whitelist?

• 6.  RE: How to setup P2P Bridge using Ap-377's

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 28, 2018 03:37 PM

Can you SSH into each access point?  Type "show version" to see if both have the same version of code.  If they don't, they cannot form a cluster.  The second access point would need access to the internet to do that automatically.

• 7.  RE: How to setup P2P Bridge using Ap-377's

Posted Nov 28, 2018 04:13 PM

I've actually been consoled into both of them.  Yes, both are on version 8.3.0.0

I just reset both back to factory defaults and changed the switchport config from our management vlan to faculty (it has DHCP, Management does not).  Both AP's have picked up an IP and I can web into both of them.  Both see themselves and the other.  

Since I do not want them to broadcast SSID's, I'm a little unsure what to configure on each of them at this point.  

• 8.  RE: How to setup P2P Bridge using Ap-377's

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 28, 2018 04:26 PM

You can try configuring an SSID that only broadcasts on the 2.4ghz band, and then disabling the 2.4ghz radio on both units.