Wireless Access

last person joined: 18 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

How to use the MAC Authentication in Aruba A7030?

This thread has been viewed 14 times
  • 1.  How to use the MAC Authentication in Aruba A7030?

Posted Mar 20, 2020 12:48 AM

Hi all,

I have a Aruba Controller A7030, running version 6.5.4.8, already done:

- Set up the MAC Authentication in Configuration > Security > Authentication > L2 Authentication.

- Setup the Username/Password in the Configuration > Security > Authentication > Servers > Internal DB.

- Apply the AAA profile with the Initial Role is: logon.

- Apply the profile to the SSID

I tested by adding only 1 user's MAC added into user DB, but the other device still can login into the SSID if they know the password => it means the MAC Authentication is not working.

Already deep dive into Google some days but still can not findout the solution. Can you please support me this case ? 

• 2.  RE: How to use the MAC Authentication in Aruba A7030?

• 3.  RE: How to use the MAC Authentication in Aruba A7030?

Posted Mar 20, 2020 01:28 PM

Thank you, I've tried this but no use.

As the same question of a user below in this topic, what I want is: to block all the access to the WIFI, only allow devices with MAC address accepted and added to the whitelist by me. 

Is there any solution for this case?

• 4.  RE: How to use the MAC Authentication in Aruba A7030?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 20, 2020 01:57 PM

Mac authentication isn't the appropriate security controller here, as there is no actual authentication of credentials to prevent spoofing or other simplistic attacks. 

For mac auth, the link that cjoseph provided documents the steps needed to implement. Mac auth will not prevent people from connecting to the SSID, however would place whitelisted users into a role that allows traffic to flow, while users that are not whitelisted remain in the initial user role with limited functionality.

• 5.  RE: How to use the MAC Authentication in Aruba A7030?

Posted Mar 21, 2020 03:50 AM

Hi cclemmer,

Thank you for your reply. But this is the request from my Manager, so I need to do some research and answer him.

However, I have worked with a Unify WIFI system before. When I active the MAC filter on the Virtual Controller => even if a User knows the SSID's password but their MAC is not allowed, they can't connect to the network.

I don't think the Aruba system with higher and detail features is not able to do this, the reason is just I don't know how to config it.

• 6.  RE: How to use the MAC Authentication in Aruba A7030?
    Best Answer

Posted Mar 27, 2020 11:42 PM

FYI: my problem has been solved after I upgraded the firmware from 6.x to 8.x. Everything looks much more clear and easier to config than the previous version.

Thank you.