Wireless Access

last person joined: 17 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

IAP-205H consumes much more power than specs

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  IAP-205H consumes much more power than specs

Posted Apr 30, 2016 01:09 PM

I installed a small Instant network consisting of (1) IAP-205 as the VC and (3) IAP-205H all driven by an HP 2530-8G-PoEP (J9774A#ABA) switch.  The IAPs are running version 6.4.3.1-4.2.0.0 firmware while the switch is running YA.16.01.0006.  I believe that all firmware is the latest "General Release" versions available.

When designing the project, I reviewed the spec for the IAP-205H which indicates the worst-case power requirement is 13W.  But when I connect the IAP-205H units to the HP switch, they are drawing 25.5W each, which exceeds the 67W available from the switch.  The IAP-205 VC is only drawing 8.6W.

I understand that the IAP-205H units have additional ports, including a PoE-PSE port that can provide up to 10W to downstream devices AND a USB port that can provide power as well.  Apparently, even though these ports are not being used on our IAP-205H units, power for them is still being allocated in the switch.

How can I configure the IAP-205H units to not require so much power?  Again, this is an Instant configuration, so there is only the Virtual Controller and the CLI is disabled on the individual IAP-205H units.

Thanks!

Ken Morley

• 2.  RE: IAP-205H consumes much more power than specs

Posted Apr 30, 2016 01:26 PM

I have gotten around the over current problem for the moment by configuring the switch to only allocate 13W to the IAP-205H.  The IAP-205H units appear to boot and run without problem on a 13W allocation.  But I'm sure that if someone uses the PoE-PSE or USB ports, that something would fail.  Therefore, I would still prefer to disable PoE-PSE and/or USB ports.

Here's are the switch commands I used:

config

int 6

poe-lldp-detect disable

poe-allocate-by value

poe-value 13

exit

wr mem

It looks like PoE must be cycled on the port to make the changes effective:

config

int 6

no power

power

exit

• 3.  RE: IAP-205H consumes much more power than specs

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 30, 2016 01:31 PM
    You should be able to create a new wired port profile with PoE disabled and
    apply it only to port E3.

http://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/Instant_42_WebHelp/InstantWebHelp.htm#
    UG_files/Wired_port_profile/ConfiguringWiredProf_1.htm%3FTocPath%3DWired%252
    0Profiles|Configuring%2520a%2520Wired%2520Profile|_____1

• 4.  RE: IAP-205H consumes much more power than specs

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 30, 2016 06:21 PM

The IAP-205H is using LLDP to request power from the switch. In order to account for worst case including PSE and USB usage the IAP-205H requests 25.5W.

The default config on the switch is to allocate that amount to the IAP.

Doing as Tim suggested, disabling the PSE and USB, would stop the chance that the IAP could draw the maximum.

The other part of configuring the switch would be to use the command:

no lldp config <#portnumber> dot3TlvEnable poeplus_config

This will allow the switch to allocate power based on what is being used.

Aaron.

• 5.  RE: IAP-205H consumes much more power than specs

Posted May 02, 2016 03:37 PM

Thanks very much for the quick and accurate replies - I really appreciate it!

I apologize for being dense, but there is one detail that I don't understand:

In this Instant network, a standard IAP-205 is the VC and is AP1.  The other APs are IAP-205H units and are AP2, AP3, etc.

I have created a new wired port profile called "poe_disabled" with the port enabled, but the PoE disabled.

In the Instant GUI, when I apply the profile to ports, the only ports available are 0/0, 0/1, 0/2, 0/3 and 0/4.  I assume that applying poe_disabled to port 0/3 disables PoE on port E3, but I am not clear on whether that is for ALL APs in the network or just a single unit.  I kind of expect the left digit to signify the AP and the right digit to signify the port on that AP (e.g. 2/0 would be the first port on the third AP).  But I don't see how I can specifiy the other APs as there is no "2/0" or "2/1" in the GUI to choose from.

Can someone briefly clarify how that works?

Thanks again!

Ken Morley

• 6.  RE: IAP-205H consumes much more power than specs

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 02, 2016 04:51 PM

Ken,

When assigning the wired profle to ports, they are assigned across all APs in the cluster.

So any IAP in the cluster that has port 0/3 (in your case) will have PoE disabled. Seeing as you have IAP-205 in the cluster, it is not affected by the 0/3 port profile as it does not have port 0/3, but any changes to port the profile on port 0/0 will have an affect on both the IAP-205 and the IAP-205H's.

Disabling the USB port is done on a per-ap basis when you "edit" an IAP and go to the uplink tab.

Cheers,
    Aaron

• 7.  RE: IAP-205H consumes much more power than specs

Posted Jul 11, 2016 08:30 AM
    I'm trying to use the PSE on a 205h. From the sheet it says using a 802.1at POE leaves 10watts for equipment. I have IP cameras which need 6 watts. But when I connect the camera it does not boot. How can I check to ensure there is power being fed on the 0/3 port? I've set up a port config for "IPCameraPort" with POE enabled and applied to the cluster. Still need to go into each WAP and manually disable USB (I guess). Any thoughts? I bought 12 of these for a gymnasium with the intent to stream video for parents. Appreciate the guidance.