Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

IAP and Mesh / What works, what not / wired Port access possible?

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  IAP and Mesh / What works, what not / wired Port access possible?

Posted Jan 09, 2012 05:55 AM

hello,

am i right, Mesh on IAP92/93 isnt supported, right? read in some archive thread of august 2011 that it's not supported.

imagine we have 2 IAP105 , if those are both powered on PoE and dont see each other on the network cause location is different . Is it possibile to create a Mesh between those and use the ETH ports to give wired access to connected devices like routers/switches behind the mesh point ?  e.g. wired_ap access as configured on campus APs, doing Mesh ...

works or not ? as reading userguide of IAP regarding mesh it says if not connected to Ethernet it tries automatically to create a mesh network. what if you change the default "instand" SSID and change the PSK ?

am i right, that if you first let those IAP's connect to each other and built up their "virtual controller" environment. then you create your PSK wifi and as soon as the IAP gets only connected via power then it automatically tries to connect to the master virtual controller just with the configured PSK and builds up his mesh network right?

same happens when IAPs are factory-defaulted in IAP OS 6.x then they connect via the pre-configured "instant" SSID the same way right?

regards

ben

• 2.  RE: IAP and Mesh / What works, what not / wired Port access possible?

Posted Jan 09, 2012 05:58 AM

The customer szenario would work here cause the plan is only Mesh Network , and no local user-wifi access :

"If you configure a single-radio IAP to deliver mesh services only (by disabling the mesh radio in its 802.11a
    or 802.11g radio profile) that mesh node will not deliver WLAN services to its clients."

regards

ben

• 3.  RE: IAP and Mesh / What works, what not / wired Port access possible?

Posted Jan 09, 2012 06:06 AM

But is it working as a "wifi cable", like you use 2 IAP to solve some "wifi bridge" solution , one is mesh portal with access to wired LAN , and on the IAP mesh point you connect other branch LAN ... does this work? controller/campus AP and mesh = yes , but IAP too ?

regards

• 4.  RE: IAP and Mesh / What works, what not / wired Port access possible?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 09, 2012 06:26 AM

IAP 105 cannot bridge wired traffic through mesh.  Once the ethernet link is up on an IAP-105, meshing stops.

• 5.  RE: IAP and Mesh / What works, what not / wired Port access possible?

Posted Jan 09, 2012 06:48 AM

So there's no chance to have wired_access on the ETH port on the IAP_meshpoint, regardless of being single_radio (mesh link only..) or dual_radio meshpoint . correct?

so if you want such a constealltion you need controller/campus AP instlaled as meshpoints, there it's possible to have traffic on the wired_access_port . we use such a solution for mobile LCD panels connected with ethernet to the meshpoint and wired_access is possible there.

So limited "mesh" stuff on IAP regarding wired_access on the eth port correct?

regards

ben

• 6.  RE: IAP and Mesh / What works, what not / wired Port access possible?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 09, 2012 07:17 AM

No wired access on IAP-105 when using mesh, is all I know...

• 7.  RE: IAP and Mesh / What works, what not / wired Port access possible?

Posted Jan 13, 2012 11:47 AM

I am have been testing this in my lab and cannot get the IAP mesh point to bridge any traffic via ethernet.  Like the other folks said, as soon as I plug in the ethernet, the AP reboots and boots up as a mesh portal which pretty much makes the Mesh useless for any kind of wired access.

what if I have a IAP 92, single mode radio?  I want to use the 5ghz as a backhaul and bridge from the ethernet port.  is that possible?  otherwise meshing an IAP92 is useless since there is no other radio for even client access.

I have a support case open with the TAC to see if they can help me out. seems like all you would have to do is boot it up as a mesh point and somehow force the ethernet port not to reboot once it notices a link.  with the limited cli there is in the IAP's this not seem possible unless there are some behind the scenes commands an Aruba TAC rep can run to override its normal operation.

• 8.  RE: IAP and Mesh / What works, what not / wired Port access possible?

Posted Jan 13, 2012 11:52 AM

Mesh is not supported on IAP 92/93. Mesh is only supported on dual radio IAPs such as IAP 105.

Shashi

• 9.  RE: IAP and Mesh / What works, what not / wired Port access possible?

Posted Jan 13, 2012 11:56 AM

So my only option with an IAP 92/93 would be to convert them to normal AP's and use a controller to mesh them together, correct?

• 10.  RE: IAP and Mesh / What works, what not / wired Port access possible?

Posted Jan 13, 2012 12:17 PM

I believe this will work. I will confirm and post reply in a bit.

thanks

• 11.  RE: IAP and Mesh / What works, what not / wired Port access possible?

Posted Jan 13, 2012 03:47 PM

thank you. I am curious to know as it may be my emergency backup plan as a customer of ours already purchsed tha IAP92 expecting it to be a point to point solution with a wired link at the mesh point end.

• 12.  RE: IAP and Mesh / What works, what not / wired Port access possible?

Posted Jan 13, 2012 04:21 PM

To confirm, this will work if you convert the IAPs to campus APs (controller-based) and mesh.

thanks,

Shashi

• 13.  RE: IAP and Mesh / What works, what not / wired Port access possible?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 23, 2012 10:00 PM

Yes, that should work. Also for the mesh APs behind a controller you can set them to be in mesh+access mode if that is needed.

• 14.  RE: IAP and Mesh / What works, what not / wired Port access possible?

Posted Jan 24, 2012 04:18 AM

Yes it also worked in former single radio AP#s like the AP60/61 , you just "rape" them as wifi mesh points and instead of local coverage you just use wired_access...

It would be really helpful if in IAP105 wired_access would work in case there's no controller . Some really "helpful" solution. Imagine the possibilites. Just have some "wifi"cable thrown from one building to another building..

regards

• 15.  RE: IAP and Mesh / What works, what not / wired Port access possible?

Posted Jan 24, 2012 04:15 PM
    I think there is some confusion with the terminology between mesh and bridging. IAP does not bridge, hence the MESH not working if the AP has an Ethernet connection. Hope that helps.

• 16.  RE: IAP and Mesh / What works, what not / wired Port access possible?

Posted Jan 25, 2018 01:31 PM

Is this same for the non-instant AP105. That you cannot bridge wired traffic through mesh?

• 17.  RE: IAP and Mesh / What works, what not / wired Port access possible?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 25, 2018 03:04 PM

This post is from 2012 and it should be closed.

You can tunnel and bridge wired traffic through mesh.