Wireless Access

last person joined: 9 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

IAP105-US Question

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  IAP105-US Question

Posted Jan 13, 2013 11:37 AM

Some questions about the IAP-105.   New to this so bare with me.

IAP-105's have been ordered for implementation in conference rooms of
    our various branches.  I believe the intent was to install these as standalone
    units.  From earlier postings that I have come across, it sounds like the only
    way to acheive this without the use of a controller is to set the IAP-105 up
    as a Remote AP with a "Always On SSID" and a Static Power Channel.

Is that Correct?

It was also stated though that in order to configure the IAP-105 you still
    must attach it to a controller to provision it first.  Is that correct?

I have one IAP-105 and tried to just connect in the scenario we will be using.
    Doing this at home, I connected my Mediacom cable modem to a HP POE Switch and then
    connected the IAP-105 to the switch.  I connected a laptop and using Putty set
    up a serial connection and connected to the console port on the IAP.  I set on
    the recording process to capture everything being passed from the IAP-105.

The IAP never seems to get past the initialization process. The power LED never
    goes to solid green, except momentarily after going thru the process before it
    re-boots and starts all over.

I just wanted to start a thread with hopes someone can answer some of these
    basic questions and point me in the right direction.  I have breifly gone thru
    the www.arubanetworks.com/vrd to try to check out some things.

Thanks

• 2.  RE: IAP105-US Question

Posted Jan 13, 2013 08:09 PM

Dont worry  ask all you need too and we will try to help you, we were all new to this at one point :)
    I got lot of help as well and i still get help from Aruba employees and Forum members so we are all here to help each other so dont worry.

It was also stated though that in order to configure the IAP-105 you still
    must attach it to a controller to provision it first.  Is that correct?

No you dont need any controller to configure it IAP builds their on Virtual controller.

I have one IAP-105 and tried to just connect in the scenario we will be using.
    Doing this at home, I connected my Mediacom cable modem to a HP POE Switch and then
    connected the IAP-105 to the switch.  I connected a laptop and using Putty set
    up a serial connection and connected to the console port on the IAP.  I set on
    the recording process to capture everything being passed from the IAP-105.

The IAP never seems to get past the initialization process. The power LED never
    goes to solid green, except momentarily after going thru the process before it
    re-boots and starts all over.

Can you put the output of what you see on the console?

It is geting A DHCP Address? if not you have to configure it via console the correct ip address.  Depending on the IOS it has it can come up with 169 i think... but it will be a way faster if you could just paste what you see on the console.

IAP-105's have been ordered for implementation in conference rooms of
    our various branches.  I believe the intent was to install these as standalone
    units.  From earlier postings that I have come across, it sounds like the only
    way to acheive this without the use of a controller is to set the IAP-105 up
    as a Remote AP with a "Always On SSID" and a Static Power Channel.

Okay so you got many conference room in varius branches... and you putting one instant in every conference room?

You could have a controller  controlling all of them from one single point....

We actually have a proyect undergoing for a bank which got many many conference rooms around all their branches...

They got a Controller in their DataCenter, and all the APs are controlled by that controller... So the admin can see everything from it and configure from it everything...

Your deployment seems that you have to configure individually all the IAPs... and if some of them fail then you need to reconfigure it again... and you got many administration separated.. i just dont find it  efficient..  It just giving you more work...

How are the sites connected? VPN? private link? or how?

What does your aruba partner recommend you? 

If you want you can get a Controller and you can always convert it to a managed AP....

But i would need more info about your deployment.  What are the requirements for this Wireles?