Wireless Access

last person joined: 20 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

IAS without CA

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  IAS without CA

Posted Jul 17, 2012 05:38 AM

Hi Forum,

I want to use IAS and AD for authentication without using anycertificate or CA, is it possible please share help or configuration with me.

I read different articles but they all include CA for authentication.

Regards,

Faisal 

• 2.  RE: IAS without CA

Posted Jul 17, 2012 11:36 AM

If you want to to 802.1x authentication (whether with client certificates or just username/password), you'll still need a certificate on the RADIUS/IAS side.    This can be a cert purchased from a public trusted authority, one issued from an internal PKI (for example a Microsoft PKI),   or a self-signed certificate.   Either way, you'll want to either make sure your clients trust the certificate (can be pushed through AD if you use a self-signed certificate) or tell the clients not to validate the server certificate (typically not recommended).

I usually use makecert.exe to do self-signed certificates.  You just need to ensure it has the Server Authentication purpose.  A sample is:

makecert.exe -n "CN=dc.mydomain.local" -sr LocalMachine -ss my -r -pe -eku 1.3.6.1.5.5.7.3.1 -sky exchange -sp "Microsoft RSA SChannel Cryptographic Provider" -sy 12 -e 01/01/2025

This will create the certificate and iinstall it to the Local Machine's certificate store; you can then reference it in your IAS policies.

Other options for makecert: 

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bfsktky3(v=vs.71).aspx