Wireless Access

last person joined: 2 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

IP Mobility not clicking

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  IP Mobility not clicking

Posted Feb 18, 2019 07:03 PM

Reading the UG IP mobility is not clicking. 

In the example are the user VLANs 1-9 and the users are allowed to roam amongst the buildings? What if I want to allow roaming from building 2 to 3, but not building 3 to 2? And how do I limit roaming for 1 SSID but not others? 

27_8

• 2.  RE: IP Mobility not clicking

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 19, 2019 07:57 AM

Answering your quesions:

IP mobility is for when you have a separate controller for each building and you need to have clients roam between each controller.  In reality, you would have a single controller, where all of the access points in the campus tunnel traffic back to a single controller and the client can retain its ip address and firewall state, no matter where the client roams.  You would not have to design client access per building.  If you don't want a client to connect in a building, you would just not broadcast an SSID there...

• 3.  RE: IP Mobility not clicking

Posted Feb 23, 2019 12:31 PM
    Ah ok that makes sense. Now in the IP mobility setting, do you add the controllers' management IP address that are participating in mobility or the IP of the Vlan interface that will service users?

Also in the VAP IP mobility must be checked, correct?

• 4.  RE: IP Mobility not clicking

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 23, 2019 01:12 PM

Honestly, I have not configured it in years, because we typically design away from needing it.

The theory and how to configure it is detailed in the chapter here:  https://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/ArubaOS_6_5_4_X_Web_Help/Web_Help_Index.htm#ArubaFrameStyles/Mobility/Mobility.htm%3FTocPath%3DArubaOS%2520User%2520Guide%2520Topics%7CIP%2520Mobility%7C_____0

• 5.  RE: IP Mobility not clicking

Posted Feb 24, 2019 05:43 PM

Thanks, that guide is where I pasted the diagram from. I am still confused. The config guide states

To allow wireless users to roam from building to building without interrupting ongoing sessions, you configure a mobility domain that includes all user VLANs on the three controllers

and  

To configure a mobility domain, you must assign a home agent address to at least one controller with direct access to the user VLAN IP subnet.

so I am assuming that I need the IP interface of each user vlan added in the mobility domain. Do I need to include the management interface of the controller as well?